Lupus Community
Has anyone experienced houlder joint pain and swelling?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Hi, I am currently being tested for an autoimmune disorder, I do not have a diagnosis yet. However, I was just wondering if anyone had experienced shoulder pain and swelling? I have been experiencing pain in my right shoulder and swelling around the joint. I have limited movement where it feels lik my shoulder is catching on something. I also have slight swelling and pain in my upper arm muscle too.The shoulder is also alot higher than the left one now and I have not had any trauma or falls to cause this. Its very painful and limits what I can do- and I am sick of being told to take anti-inflammatories- they haven't worked! This has been going on for over a year now- it used to come and go every 6 weeks or so but for the past 2 months it has been constant. Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this? Please let me know, Thanks,
I have had the same pain.  They did xrays and an ultrasound and told me I had tendonosis and that NSAIDs and massage or physical therapy was required.  Since then I had more symptoms throughout my body and am in the midst of being diagnosed with Lupus.  I don't know if it is the NSAIDs I take around the clock (ibuprofen) or the Plaquenil I'm on or the weekly massages for pain control, but my shoulder is much better and very seldom flares up.
I have lupus and fibro and I have had this pain since it all started a little over two years ago.  I have always told my doctors that between my elbow and my shoulder my arm ached and my shoulder hurt.  The muscles in that part of my arm are very weak and no matter what position I put my arm in that area always hurts including my shoulder.  I have never had an xray or mri because of all the other aches and pains I just put it off to either the lupus or fibro.  I am on Cellebrex and I didn't know if it was helping me but I skipped one day of it and it took me two days to get back my my lower level of pain. ;)  Tonight I have a toothache on top of everything else so I am taking my darvacette.  I hate taking pain pills and try not to take them if possible.  I go months without taking them so when I do you know I am in pain.  I hate tooth pain even more than back pain.

Also, Trudie have you ever had a bad experience from the massages?  I was a massage-a-holic and then when I went on all these drugs I have been on like Pred. and imuran  and cellcelt, stuff I have taken in the past few years not necessarily on them now.  But I got very sick after a massage.  That evening and the next day it was as if all the drugs in my body got circulating and I could even walk straight.  I did try it again about a month later and I was ok but then the next time it did the same thing to me.  It's like it releases all those toxins into my body at once.  Just wondering if that has ever happened to you.
Joni
I forgot to mention that like Joni I have a lot of muscle weakness in my upper arm too.

I haven't had any issues with massage (although I haven't done any tracking) but once in a while I just can't relax and their efforts do make me have more pain.  I do think it is when I am in a bad flare.  I'm trying to pay attention to when my appointments are and how I feel and adjusting if I can.  However, I am not on all the drugs you are - just Plaquenil, ibuprofen and Tylenol 3's.  In order to reduce the cost and get some more relief I am going to start ball rolling (search on Yamuna ball rolling on Google) which can help in a simliar way but you have control since you are doing it at home.  It really helps reduce the pain by using pressure points.  My son uses my ball for his sciatica and really helps.  
Hi Lynny and girls,

I too have shoulder pain along with the 90 other joints that hurt.  (I'm exagerating)  
But the thought that a massage could release toxins is interesting.  Before I was dx, I was going to a lady who did Aqua Detox.  It draws toxins out through your feet.  It was very interesting, but the next several days I could not function.  At first I thought it was a coincidnece, but everytime I would get a treatment, I would go through this.  I did press through and do the 2 treatments a week for 3 weeks.  That was the one and only time I went into a month long recess from all the symptoms.  (I forgot what they call that...lightin' quick mind - home in a flash)  I can't help but think the Aqua Detox helped in the long run, but getting past the flares it caused was tough.  

Yes, especially when I sleep.  My hips hurt the worse, then shoulders and knees.  But I have to change positions a lot through out the night.  My rhemy recommended that I get a memory foam mattress from Sams.  She said the others were not dense enough to do any good.  It has helped, but definitely not a cure.