Has anyone read the Lupus Recovery Diet?
I am reading this book and wondered if anyone else had read it and what they though of it?  Has anyone tried this diet?  It does make sense but changing your diet is a big commitment.  I may find the right time to try it for 6 weeks and see how I feel.
Hi Turdie,

You are such a blessing to this forum.  Thanks for all of your innput.  We all value it.  

I have not read it, but would be interested in you sharing a few pointers.  

Kara

This book is not just about putting your Lupus in remission but other auto immune diseases and fibromyalgia.  Apparently the 4 whites (sugar, salt, dairy and flour) and meat are the main things that can cause inflammation in our bodies.  By eliminating these from your diets many people have gone into complete remission for years.  They have a lot of studies they use to support it.  In essence a low fat and gluten free vegan diet.

For some this diet is always needed but they talk about using fasts to immediately stop your inflammation - either a 3 day water or a medically supervised longer water fast or a fresh fruit and vegetable fast for 3 - 6 days.  An alternative that some have gotten benefit from is eating all fresh fruits and vegetables for a week to calm the inflammation.  Then start adding back foods one at a time to see what triggers the inflammation in you.  The biggest culprit they have found is dairy.  

I would find it difficult to follow this but do think that when a bad flare hits you may benefit from adjusting your diet for a few days to calm everything down.  It does make sense and is healthy for you.  Good for losing weight too!
I've not read the book, so I can't comment on it. However, the basics sound plausible.

Sugar (and other high glycemic index foods) will cause your body to dump excessive insulin into your bloodstream. Insulin is pro-inflammatory. I'd think this would likely add to someone's pre-existing inflammatory-based problems.

Some people are allergic to dairy and/or gluten, which also causes inflammation.

I'm not sure what to think of either meat or salt, however. It wouldn't surprise me that mammal flesh could be a problem for some, and provoke an autoimmune response (since we're mammals). But I'd think seafood, might be less likely to. Also, the fats in meats (not seafood, in general) have a tendency to be pro-inflammatory (grass-fed beef to a much lesser degree),

One would think that following the anti-inflammatory food pyramid, would be a good idea. A serving of either, dairy, eggs, chicken or beef, are only eaten once or twice per week on this diet. One meal per day can include seafood, with the rest of your protein derived from vegan sources. The base of the pyramid is fruits and vegetables (the more colorful, the better).

I've tried to be vegan a few times, and I can never stick to it. Its a worthy goal, IMO, but it always makes me sick in the long run.

Nice topic for discussion and thought.

Mar
Mar, I'd never heard of the anti-inflammatory food pyramid.  Thank you so much for pointing this out.  Have just found it and printed it out.  I can do this!
Trudie,
Thanks for sharing this info.  You are a blessing to our forum! :)

After reading the post, I realize that dairy and sugar does seem to make things flare up.
I have not read the book, but find diet is VERY important. Personally, I find that Organic Heavy Whipping Cream (not homogenized) will heal my mouth ulcers quicker than anything else...often over-night. I never eat any diary which is not organic, usually only the cream & butter (I whip it with organic fax seed oil from the fridge section, not the shelf), some plain yogurt with live cultures, very rarely eat any cheese, and milk--never. I grew up with organic raw milk...that I could drink.

I have had very few flares for the past 40 + years, since I changed my diet. Sugar & white flour were the first to be eliminated, red meat was the last, and have to be careful with the night-shade family and citrus fruits. Only eat raw tomatoes twice a year, picked ripe from my organic garden on a blt made with turkey bacon, organic lettuce on home baked bread! I do not grow any hybrid produce & save most of my own seed (if the birds don't beat me to it).

Several potent anti-inflamitory foods I have added to my diet are fresh ginger daily as a tea, & cook with tumeric often and organic coconut oil. I have always used organic extra-virgin olive oil...my husband is Italian. Onions and garlic are good, also.

Stress can cause flares, too.
I haven't read the book but I've been doing a low protein diet for almost two months.  I still eat eggs and dairy  and there are a few other things that I've cut out.  I don't restrict salt (my blood pressure is too low).
I used to work out a lot before I had this flare so I was on a training diet which was soooo different.  It's hard to tell if's helped me.  I do know that if I changed nothing, I would have put on a lot more weight because much a less now.  
I would like to read that book.
Hi Trudie,

I was diagnosed with lupus 7 years ago, had a life threatening flare 5 years ago, and I too found the Lupus Diet, it was one of the first things I tried when I made the decision to get better.
Since that time, I have experimented with numerous diets, tried all kinds of holistic therapies and supplements,...became a certified holistic health counselor myself, and was able to come off all of my meds. Since then I have not had 1 single lupus symptom. It has been 5 years.

I learned through all of this that there is no specific diet that will work for everyone. Our bodies are all so different, and because of this we each need to find our own recovery diets.

For me, the diet did not work. I started to get horrible skin rashes, and felt weaker than I already did. There is a theory that blood types have a lot to do with the types of food people should eat. I am a type o, which according to Peter D Adamo writer of the Blood Type Diet, means I do better with meat, and do not tolerate gluten so well. I found this to be true for me...it might help to check this book out.  

I do think that there were some good points made in the Lupus diet. Sugar for instance should not be eaten in excess, or processed foods, and cleansing is very important.

Cleansing should be the first step. Here is the cleanse I made up for myself:

- Take in only fluids for one day, such as coconut water, vegetable broths, and juices
- For the next 4 days eat only vegetables and fruits
- On the 5th day add whole grains, not in bread or noodle form but actual whole grains like rice and quinoa

Do this for a week or more. If you can make it a whole month, congrats but it does get difficult. No matter when you decide to end your cleanse, be sure to add new foods slowly. This cleanse will give your body time to rid itself of toxins as well as reset your taste buds to appreciate the flavor of real food.

When you are getting back to your normal diet, try to eat whole foods as much as possible. Listen to your body and try to determine what makes you feel your best.

Bummer, I guess it already sounded too good to be true.  It's not a "one size fits all" disease so the idea of "one diet cures all" is a lot to hope for.  I have good eating habits but I would like to try to add or eliminate foods if it helps me. I just hate going through the trial and error thing.  I am "almost" a vegetarian now- I eat some fish.  It's so hard to evaluate this diet because I WAS so healthy before and. as soon as I started getting sick I made some very drastic changes.
hi..i m reading this site 1st time and i read yr post and felt very good.
i m impressed that u got rid of all med. by holistic therapies .
i have lupus-SLE-since last 3 years.i have RA,PAH  and raynauld's phenomena. symptom wise my condition is not so bad...i m living close to normal life...but i dont want to take these med. for the whole life. i m in search of  alternative therapies that will pull me out of this .
will u please share yr experience and give me information abt wat to  do.
i will be very grateful to u.  
I read the book and followed the diet, except I did keep Fish in my diet.  I decided to give it 6 months of following to a T, except for the above.  I read that omega 3 were so important and wanted to try to see if I could achieve reversing Lupus with Fish still in my diet.  I am happy to say that 6 months later my blood work showed I was Lupus Free and have been that way for 3 1/2 years!  I continue to live my life as a vegan but still eat fish and try to eat as natural as possible.  I also drank Noni Juice during that time .  I found research that stated it had positive effects on Lupus.
Trust me this works!! Highly recommend!
For several years I have going to a Rheumatologist and have some auto immune connective disease, not true diagnosis at this point, most labs point to Lupus but I don't a the butterfly rash.  I do noticed that when my life and my body get stressed I go in to a flare of severe joint pain to the point of nausea and just feeling like I have the flu--usually lasts a week or two, and my dr puts me on pred.  The last time I was on pred I gained 10 lbs and had this fog feeling... so I researched and found The Lupus Recovery Diet.  I started the diet 4 days ago and my joint pain has significantly decreased- I feel so much better.  I am hoping as I keep up the diet that I feel even better.  I make myself walk 2 miles a day regardless of the weather or pain-I know that my body needs to walk.