Lupus Community
Help, I have so many weird symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Help, I have so many weird symptoms

Hello! Im a 22 year old-female. I have been feeling fatigue, headaches and dizziness for over a year and have been referred a neurologist who couldnt diagnose anything. I also have muscle pains and recently my joints (specially in my hands and wrist) started to ache. Last saturday I was out in the sun (with SPF!!) and some tiny bumps appeared on my skin, its been 2 days and they keep spreading all over my face, neck, chest, upper arms and upper back til the back of my ears and neck... and still spreading!! They arent itchy nor red, but are so embarassing and so unconfortable. I used to have a beautiful clear skin and this has knocked down my confidence. Also Im half asian, half latin, so I shouldnt be prone to sun rashes as i dont have a sensitive fair skin (I have natural olive skin, quite tanned naturally).
Im quite worried it might be lupus, as I appear to have some of the symptoms... However I went to my GP today and she just prescribed me some hayfever tablets!! I also have been losing so much hair in the last year!! HELP
If your GP didn't order a test for lupus or other autoimmune disease, then you should get a new GP! You have so many symptoms that all seem to point to lupus. I'm not enough of an expert to say what it is for sure, but I know that you need to have an ANA test, and when that comes back positive (which I'm guessing it will) they'll send it back to test for all the other autoantibodies to see what's going on. They should also check your thyroid, as many of those symptoms can also be of hypothyroidism. (except not the rashes I don't think) Hang in there! I know how miserable you feel. I was sick for at least 2 years before being diagnosed with lupus. Hopefully you won't have to wait that long. Lupus is very treatable. So if you do have it, you'll feel better soon after being treated. Can you go to a rheumatologist? Or do you need a referral to do that? I wish you the best and hope you feel better soon!
In 1990 I spent 3 weeks in hospital with a high fever, after lots of tests, blood, bone marrow, liver biopsy, artery/muscle etc I was told that I had an auto-immune disease. I was put on Steroids for life, given blood & told that there was no known cause & no  cure. The prognosis was not optimistic. After a couple of months of regular blood tests nothing changed ~ I am am an active person & felt that I was somehow handicapped. I decided to quit the steroids, I told the Doc. & was warned that I was being stupid, my kidneys would pack up & I'd die. I came off the steroids &  nothing happened. I'm still well, & guess the 'consultant' is probably long dead by now. My diagnosis was called Peri Arteritis Nodosa. I forgot all about it after returning to my usual schedule of training/running/cycling etc. It was said to affect 1 in 150.000 ~ have had other problems since then, but not from PAN. I don't regret my coming off steroids against medical advice. Now I want to research everything I can about what ails me. I wish you luck & hope that you are soon your happy self again. George
ohh, Thanks you all.

Im in the UK, so i need a referral to go to ANY specialist, so the only thing i could really do is change GP, but then again, people are allocated to their GP's by address so Im pretty much stuck! I was thinking of going to the emergency department in the hospital if these rashes on my face dont go away...

That wouldn't hurt! ER's sometimes aren't great at things that aren't life threatening emergencies, but it's worth a try. Sorry to hear you're stuck with your GP. Maybe he/she just needs to be told to run the tests for autoimmune diseases, for starters the ANA test. Perhaps once that comes back positive, they'll refer you off to the rheumatologist like you should be and you'll be at least on the road to a diagnosis and hopefully feeling better. There are other treatments for lupus besides steroids. I had alot of relief from Plaquenil myself. Any way, we should wait and see what your test results say. So hopefully you can get the ER to run the right tests or go back to the GP for them. Frequently we have to be the one in charge of our healthcare. When your gut says something autoimmune is going on, you have to MAKE someone do those tests for you if they don't do them automatically. Good luck! Keep me posted!