How do kids with lupus manage school?
I'm just curious.... how do teens and college students with lupus get through school?  I read one posting where someone said she'd gone to homeschooling because she missed so much class... is that common?  Any other ways to get through?

dazedmom
I subscribed to the magazine called LUPUS NOW, and received one around last spring that was about children with Lupus and how they cope.  It would be a good thing for you to get ahold of.  I think I got it through the Lupus Foundation of America or off the lupus  dot   org site.  If I remember right, most of them ended up on home study and the principals and teachers were very, very helpful through it all.  The problem with home study is they give totally different work than what the classmates are doing.  So, the best thing would be to ask if there is a way to videotape the classes, then have the listed homework assignments that the class is doing, and then she won't feel like she's missing out.  The principal would need to approve, and of course, someone has to pay for the video equipment and make sure it works efficiently.  As long as she has an illness, I'm sure she qualifies for free home study, and anything that makes her education more accessible for her case.  Here in CA, we have what's called the 504 program for children with disabilities.  The schools work hard to ensure we have what we need for our children, without going too far out on a limb.  I wish you luck and strength.  Please let us all know what you come up with after talking to the school administrators.
I've wondered that too.  I wonder how people work and keep up.  I tire out real easy and feel like it would be an injustice to an employer.  

But I do homeschool my own children, not because they are sick.  But I personally know people who homeschool their sick children.  With all the dr. apointments and everything that goes along with a long-term illness homeschooling is a great option.  It does appear that some have the illness under control and have resumed working or going to school (college).  I know I have begun to take on more responsibility now that I am feeling better.  
Hi there.  I'm in college now, working full time, and I'm mommy to a 4 year old.  All this with Lupus.  However, I dont have many harsh symptoms.  I have arthritis from it in both of my knees and I'm always tired.  But with taking my meds at night, some coffee in the morning, and a nap in the afternoon, I'm alright.  

It depends on the severity.  My Dr. said my symptoms could remain the same or worsen over time (which my knees have done).  So basically I'm doing as much as I can now before I can't do them anymore since I never know how things could change.  He still wants me to exercise too.

I would encourage doing the most that you can within your limits.  If you can go to school a couple of days and homeschool a few that would be a cool option.  Sometimes the best medicine is just doing regular activities.