Lupus Community
Is Leg Cramps Normal with Lupus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Is Leg Cramps Normal with Lupus

The other night, I woke up crying and screaming in pain with severe leg cramps in both legs.  I couldn't get my feet to move so they would release or relax.  Finally about 10 minutes, my left relaxed but I was still paralized with the pain of the right leg.  My husband said he never felt so helpless. I was curled up and crying.  It took another fifteen minutes before my right leg relaxed and I was able to sit and take a vicodin tablet.  Now days later, my legs still feel like I had run a marathon and are weak with pain.  They haven't cramped again.  

So I guess, my question is this something that happens with Lupus or not.  
Hi, I came across your post and while I don't have answers to all of your questions, your post reminded me of issues I have associated with Lyme disease.  I see in your profile that you list both Lyme and lupus as health problems-what a wicked combination!

For what it's worth (which may be very little), my Lyme doctor has me supplement Magnesium to help with muscle cramping and twitching.  It is best to get either a chelated form or magnesium citrate, as it will absorb better than the more common magnesium oxide found in lower quality supplements.

Just a thought, perhaps you can run the idea of supplementing Mg by your doctor to see if it may be of help.

I ditto wonko, but I would add 1,200 calcium to 600 mg of magnesium.  Calcium citrate or a liquid calcium.
Thanks for the suggestion.  I will certainly ask my doc about the magnesium