Lupus Community
Is Positive ANA a definitive sign of Lupus?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

I was at my doctor yesterday and started talking about the possibility of my having Lupus.  On the 11 chart, I have 6 of the symptoms. And have had for about 5 years.  She stated that she would just do a ANA test and that would positively determine if I have Lupus.  I thought Lupus was a syndrome and a positive ANA was only a part of that and not a necessary part at that?  If I have a majority of the other symptoms, can I still have Lupus?
HI, I have Lupus and had many more tests than just ANA done, to give an overall picture. The ANA basically tells you that there's inflammation in the body and something isn't right. Other labs I had done were anti-double stranded DNA, C3, C4, and a false-syphyllis test.

I've read of people having a negative ANA but still having a diagnosis. And a small portion of the general population has a positive ANA but nothing wrong.

Is the doctor you're seeing a general practioner? It would be good to go to a rheumatologist.  Hope this helps.

Erin
I agree with iloveigs.  A positive ANA is only part of a diagnosis.  I have a positive ANAtiter of 1:1280, fatigue, pain EVERYWHERE, lol, fever at times, chills, Raynauds, dizziness, IBS and the list goes on but My DSDNA and my Smith Test have always come back negative.  So I have right now a diagnosis of Mixed Connective Tissue Disease.  My Rheumy says my test results will possibly if not likely one day show more positives but maybe not.  It may be called Lupus and I have some doctors that call it Lupus but I listen to my Rheumy.  She knows best.  The thing is with autoimmune diseases, they show different things in different people.  You could have Lupus and I could have Lupus and we only have a few similarities.  Usually it is a positive ANA, fatigue, pain and inflamation (inflammation).  Those I believe are the main symptoms that would tell you somethingis wrong.
Are you seeing a Rheumy?  Because I was told I had Mono and then Chronic Fatigue and then I was even told it was all in my head before I found the right doctors.  A good Rheumy and a good Neurologist are important.  You don't want to accept that you have Lupus if in fact it is something else in the same way you would not want someone telling you it's all in your head if you have a chronic disorder such as Lupus.
Take care.
Joni
Both those answers are really good ones...I am one of those who has been Dxd by my GP and my rheumie as having seronegative lupus - which essentially is lupus without a positive ANA.  The ANA test measures the level of antibodies in the blood that are essentially attacking the good cells in your body.  As this is what "autoimmune" diseases do, many many docs think that without the antibodies (pos ANA), there cant be autoimmune disease.  As Joni has pointed out, there is now the more common thought that one can have an autoimmune disease without the positive ANA, and that it will eventually turn positive.
This has been the case with me - for 8 years - no positve ANA.  However, I had most all the other criteria - on and off - for years.  My disease has also progressed to include organ involvement.  Thus, my docs have officially Dxd me, and are now treating me...Thank God.
I have to say though, this is rare, and most docs wont evern CONSIDER any autoimmune disease without it.  Thats why its important to go to a doctor who specializes in these diseases - they know that it is possible, and will be more apt to treat you.  Are your other blood work abnormal?  CRP and ESR (sed rate) measure inflammation in the body - these are usually high in lupus.  C3 and C4 are complement levels and these are usually low in lupus.  Red cell count is low, and white count is usually low too.  Thrombocytapenia is also very common in lupus (low platelets).  These tests can also point to lupus.  The Anti DNA is specific ONLY to lupus, but everyone that has it doesnt have lupus.  Its very complicated...it ***** actually...
I hope you get the answers your looking for.
Lauri
I have had many blood tests over the years.  ESR is very elevated. Red cell low, white cell very low, Platelets are almost non-esistant and I have Thrombocytapenia. I have joint and muscle swelling and an RF of 180 (constant and steady). Muscle pain moves itself around my body and is usually present somewhere.  I have inflamation (inflammation) in the lining of my lungs and sever allergies to almost all medications.  It shouldn't surprise me that I would have a negative ANA reading when it should be positive. I seldom get fevers when I have an infection either.  
My daughter has had a positive ana/rnp.  Can't see Rheumy til Sept 9.  She has had a lot of things going on over the past 3 years.  First, sign was pleurisy in lungs.  This year she has felt like passing out, chronic headaches, chest pain, abdomen pain and now very fatigued.  She had the antinuclear antibody test by dermatologist due to a rash on her face after being in the sun all day. The doctors just keep telling me I have to wait to see Rheumy to get a true diagnosis.  Anyone have anything they can offer?
Have you had the malar (butterfly) rash across the nose and cheeks? Mine got very red in the sun for about 5 years and my skin was rough in that area for many more years.
It is interesting that you have severe allergies to almost all meds. So do I as does my husband and many doctors, such as surgeons, just don't believe it. We both have even  had very scary reactions to meds we had never taken before. We have to be very vigilant and pro-active now, and so should you.

Peace,  ggma
What was the results of her lab?

The dermatologist could have done a lupus band test on the rash.  You could call and ask if he could do that while you wait.  If possitive, it would be one more thing to help the rhematologist out.

Have her spend time in the sun just prior to seeing the rhemy.