Lupus Community
Is the sun our Kryptonite?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Is the sun our Kryptonite?

So I am newly diagnosed with Lupus.  I actually see my rheumy on Monday since she diagnosed me.  In the meantime, I have been in a flare-state for about three weeks.  I saw her last April 30th.  So, almost two months, and now I am horrible.  I am new to this, so the sun seems like an innocent thing.  I was ut last Sunday at an outdoor concert with my family and within an hour I felt like a cripple person who could barely move and my happy demeanor changed to a moody mother.  I am only 33, well 34 in a week or so.... But, how I am supposed to live in a Beach City while avoiding the sun?  Because I mean, I went from good to "I might need to go to the ER"..... there's so much more to my flare, but my concern is how to handle the sun because I have a 4 & 5 yr old who want to play outside and go to the beach.  What do I do?  THANKS.
You have to stay out of the sun, use lots of sunscreen, wear a hat and stay healthy.  Going outside and making yourself sick can not help you be the best mom you can be.  Taking care of yourself and staying healthy is more important to your kids than going to the beach.
Thanks for the suggestions!  I have no intentions of compromising my health in order to go to the beach.  I was looking for suggestions on how to handle the sun.  Thanks for that!!
U can go out to the beach. I have been dealing with sun issues since I was diagnosed and the went on vacation to Hawaii and no one told me about the sun causing flairs. I felt just like u and spent an entire luau laying in the grass dying. U need to get a good.spray tan. Then get yourself some 100 spf sunblock, a hat and light cover up top. If the sun is intense bring a beach umbrella and stay in the shade. But even all this will only buy u a few hours. So take breaks n go inside now n then. U will figure out how.much ur body will handle. If ur in a flair already try to
stay out of the sun until u feel better. Just schedule your time outside well. Hope this helps
Thanks!  I wondered if anyone experienced that.  I knew about rashes, so I had 3/4 length sleeves on.  But the sun slowly made my energy level go down and my body ached all over, my joints getting stiff, and other stuff.  I definielty have to plan ahead for days to run errands and be outside and know what I need to wear and of course, sun tan lotion.  THanks, again!