Lupus Community
Is this Lupus?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Is this Lupus?

Hello all;

Hoping someone can help me! I have been pretty much healthy my whole life. My medical history is severe asthma & allergies as a child . The asthma I have for the most part outgrown. I will have it flare up every now and again.

I had my first itching attack when I was 18 living in Australia. I couldn't link it to anything but my lower legs would massively itch w/hives. No rash.

I didn't see this again until 2008. I started getting itchy legs/hives after running. Would also have random attacks of itchy legs.

Seemed like I was able to control my "itchy legs" somewhat while I was pregnant with my first son. In third trimester I started to feel really unwell, broke out in full body rash which they dismissed as "plaques of pregnancy." This rash returned a week after my son was born. When my son was 1-2 months old my hair became brittle, breaking and losing hair. When my son was 4 months old I developed pnuemonia (pneumonia), followed by my son developing MRSA and then me. I didn't feel right for months and my tonsils have been swollen since then.  At this time I was diagnosed as having chronic sinusitis. I lost 10 pounds and was my skinniest ever at 132 lbs. I had irregular periods.

In January 2010, during my second pregnancy I started to have severe bowel issues with bleeding and sorry if tmi mucous. I had a partial sigmoidoscopy and was told they thought it was ulcerative colitis or crohn's. They refused to allow me any meds even though I was in severe pain. Luckily it cleared up on it's own in March 2010.

While in my third trimester I again broke out in a full body rash.

In November 2011, 2 months after my second son was born, I again broke out in a full body extremely itchy rash with plaques.

In January 2012 I went gluten free after I started feeling not well when eating. I had conflicting results as to if I am actually allergic to wheat/gluten. Initially I felt great but then being gf didn't seem to make any difference.

In June 2012 my scalp suddenly started to burn in the sun. I started having dandruff and brittle hair. It really thinned out. I also got really frustrated with not being able to lose any weight. (Ive been stuck at 155 since my second son was born). I went running and ended up with a swollen right knee for weeks. I didn't exert myself that much, I really feel this has to do with whatever I have. My muscles felt weak. Rash on my neck. A few times at night I broke out in full body hives for no reason. I went to doctor numerous times. I had a negative ANA. Normal T3/T4 ranges. My adnormal results were in the following areas: WBC 4.7, Segs (POLYS) 47.3 ,Eosinophils 6.6. My urinlysis had a PH of 8.5, Protein 2+, Trace amount of Leukocyte Esterase, WBC 14. I was told "it was all in my head." He refused to refer me to an endo so I just went along with things.

In October 2012 I started eating gluten again. In mid November I started to develop a lower leg rash. My tonsils are still swollen. I have swollen glands in my neck and shoulders. I started to think it was due to the gluten so I took it out of my diet but that didn't make any difference. It feels like it's connected to eating somehow. I can't describe the feeling but it almost feels like a chemical gets released in my body?

I monitored my blood sugar for about two weeks and it was 100-150 averages. So nothing really extreme. I have not had a real period since my son was born. I had painful pink spotting a few times but I have had all normal pap smears etc. I am not on birth control.

I started my first round of prednisone in early December. As I type this I am on my 4th round of prednisone - it seems like everytime I come off it I last about 5 days and my body gets really angry. The rash is now on my neck, lower legs and right lower arm and my scalp burns. I was given a 40mg Depo-Medrol shot approx. 4 days ago and perscribed 10mg Hydroxzine HCL for itching every 6-8 hours as needed. I had a full metabolic panel, thyroid tests and urinalysis. The only abnormal results were low Creatinine and a Urine PH of 8.0.

It was like heaven for 12 hours. I woke up and felt like my neck had gone down, and wasn't swollen. I started coughing up green mucous.

The sun was pouring in over the bed, through the window and I was feeling itching so I took a Hydroxzine. It was a nice Saturday so we went to the zoo - about 45 minutes in it was like getting hit by a mack truck. Extreme fatigue, abdominal pain. When I got back to the house extreme itching everywhere I already itch now - and I had a frightening lack of patience which almost seemed like it was connected with the sun exposure/medicine.

I stopped taking the medicine but have felt horrible since. Im wondering if the rash was or is a sun sensitivity because it sure seems worse now? The er doctors said my itching is neurodermatitis. I am waiting for a dermatologist appointment Feb. 6th. They say a skin biopsy will be my answer to what this is.

We have a history in my family of problems with the sun/heat. My aunt had Lupus and my dad has a weird thing where he gets weak in any heat above 80 degrees. No rashes etc. He has had a negative Lupus test as well.

Is this Lupus?

Any ideas suggestions would be greatly appreciated as life is torture right now!!
Thanks,
Erin

I am not on any medications but Prednisone 40mg, tapering down over 10 days.
I should note I also have a high resting heart rate @ times and my blood pressure seems to be be either normal or high. This will change rapidly.

Pictures of my rash:

http://www.medhelp.org/user_photos/list/4815763

Thanks!
rashes are really tough.  It seems like there is a whole herd of them to choose from.  I'm assuming you've been to a dermatologist.  I do know that people can be allergic to the sun.  They break out in hives and feel really bad after extended sun exposure.  

W/ lupus, people have joint pain along w/ other symtpoms.  I feel like they can't completely rule lupus out, but should also be looking under some other stones as well.  Your rash looks like it itches.  From my experience, the rash itches some, but not so much that you claw yourself.  
Hello, thanks so taking the time to respond.

This picture was taken after my 3rd course of prednisone. I am on the 5th right now. The rash is insanely itchy, it drives me nuts - sometimes I cry because it is so intense and can't be stooped.
Have you been to a dermatologist?