Lupus Community
Looking for some answers for my rashes.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Looking for some answers for my rashes.

Hi, I've been reading this forum for the past week trying to get some answers about these rashes on my face. I am 19 y/o Male. I was just wondering what are the characteristics of a lupus rash? I have had this same rash on my face for about a year now, it is two patches on each side of my face almost connecting to my nose. It gets extremely dry at times and just peels costantly, and occasionally itches.

I read in alot of posts here that the rashes get worse in the sun. Mine doesn't seem to be affected at all by the sun and my nose doesn't have a rash at all. I wish I could get my pictures uploaded but it's not working at the moment. I know this might not sound like a lupus rash but every picture I have seen online looks exactly like mine and has me extremely stressed out right now.

I know I shouldn't be stressing over this right now because I really only have the rash as a symptom but it seems like the rash is the most sure sign symptom there is. I called my Dr and setup a apt, and am just wanting some advice for what I should be asking him and is there any certain types of tests I should ask for?
Looking forward to any advice, thanks.

I really think a dr. will be able to identify what is going on.  No need to stress out :)

I assure you, if you had lupus, the face rash would be the least of ALL you symptoms.  You joints would be screeming along w/ your muscles.  The fatigue would be overwhelming.  Lupus is a major illness, and it doesn't sound like you have lupus.  

I am praying for you to find answers to your problem. Let us know what you find out.
Thanks for the reply Karajo.  I had my Dr. apt 2 days ago and he said he thinks its unlikely that it is lupus but he cant sit there and tell me that it's not. So he prescribed me some hydrocortisone cream and told me to call and give him an update in 2 weeks and depending on what happens with the rash we are going to start doing the blood tests.

I am now having these random pains in my arms/legs and knees that have me thinking that now it is lupus 100%. I know everyone on here goes through so much more  then I do and I hate sitting here complaining about a rash and random quick pains but I cannot quit thinking that it couldn't possibly be anything else because why would I just have a malar rash for no reason. I also forgot to add that a few months ago I got these other rashes on my eyelids and chin that made my face just swell up.

I am so depressed right now I am getting physically sick to my stomach. I feel like I can't do anything until I go back to the doctor and get these tests done, I don't know how I am going to last through 2 weeks of this depression.
Try not to get too worked up about this.  Chances are it is not lupus.  Actually there are other things that can cause a malar rash.  They are:
discoid lupus
erysipelas
polymorphous light eruption
seborrheic dermatitis
SLE

I suggest your dr. refer you to a dermatologist for an evaluation.  Meanwhile, try to get your mind off of what is going on.  Choose to think about something else.  
I went back to my doctors since the rashes didn't go away and they took some blood i'm guessing for a an ANA test. My apt was at 8:30 a.m and there was absoloutley no sun out because it was cloudy and early so now I feel like even if it comes back negative it doesn't mean anything. I got my pictures uploaded on my profile of my rash if anyone could take a look at them and see what they think.

I'm also very worried right now if it is in fact Lupus because from what I understand the rash is only present when the disease is active? or a "flare"? Because I have had this rash for a little more then a year now.

After this test comes back should I go to a dermatologist to get a biopsy on the rash? Would that be the best way to get a Dx of whatever it is?