Lupus Community
Lupus Criteria

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Lupus Criteria

What is the current criteria for diagnosing Lupus? I have 6 out of the 11, but am still being told that I don't meet criteria. How is that possible?
Unless it hs changed, this is the 11 criteria.

1. malar rash over cheeks (butterfly rash)
2. discoid rash, red raised patches
3. photosensitivity - reaction to sunlight, resulting in skin rash
4. oral and nose ulcers
5. arthritis
6. serositis - inflamation (inflammation) of the lining of the lung or heart
7. reanl disorder - excessive protein in urine and/or cellular casts
8. neurologic disorder - seizures, or psychosis
9. anemia or low white blood count or lymphopenia or low platelet count
10. positive ANA
11. positive anti-DNA or anti-Sm, or antiphospholipid antibody or false pos. syphilis test

Other symptoms are:
fever
abdominal pain
chest pain
shortness of breath
blood in urine
hair falling out
fatigue
muscle pain and weakness
dizziness
poor memory
headaches
poor circulation in fingers and toes
tingling in extremities
diarrhea
bloating
nausea
weight loss
blurred vision
depression
palpitations
raynauds (where fingers turn white when cold)
intollerance to cold
sore throat
...to name a few

Which ones do you have?
The current criteria is four out of eleven. Maybe the doctor discovered things  leading  more to rhumatiod arthritus or another auto-immune disorder?

2. discoid rash, red raised patches
4. oral and nose ulcers
5. arthritis
10. positive ANA

Other symptoms are:
fever
abdominal pain
chest pain
shortness of breath
blood in urine
hair falling out
fatigue
muscle pain and weakness
dizziness
poor memory
headaches
poor circulation in fingers and toes
tingling in extremities
diarrhea
bloating
nausea
weight loss
blurred vision
depression
palpitations
intollerance to cold
sore throat
...to name a few

Which ones do you have?
I have 1,3,4,5,9,10,11 as well as low grade fevers, abdominal pain, losing hair, fatigue, muscle pain and weakness, dizziness, poor memory, headaches, poor circulation, raynauds, cold intolerance, splinter hemorrhage.
Since you listed #10 & #11, I assume your doc did much lab work.  Do you have a copy of the actual results?  Are you seeing a rheumotologist?  It is not unusual for rheumies to not be fully educated about lupus - perhaps you can call the lupus foundation in your area and ask for names of those that are more familiar with lupus.  It is also not unusual to be seen by 2-4 rheumies before finding one you click with.  If you doc denies lupus, what 'working' diagnosis did he give you??  Perhaps none of your symptoms are strong enough for a lupus diagnosis.  There are 150 different connective tissue disorders and it takes time to sort it all out.  Did he start you on any medications?  Finally, don't push for a diagnosis of lupus - it can have serious ramifications for health insurance.
Jan, I'm not sure what the deal is because #11 is VERY specifice for a lupus dx.  

I do agree with sk8flo in the dx of lupus.  You really don't want the official dx of lupus, but what you DO want is to get on some meds that will help.  Have they prescribed any meds?  
I had a provider look over my medical chart this past weekend.  He said that I meat the clinic criteria for SLE. Finally someone with some sense.
Hallelujah, Jan I've been praying for you and pryaing for an open door.  I know it is a bitter/sweet thing, but God will help you through this.  Medicine is helpful.  Bless your heart.  So many of us here know the frustration and the overwhelming sense of it all when you are sooo sick and drs. treat you like it is all in your head...or there is nothing wrong.  It gets to be so frustrating.  

It's a step and we are all here to help you through it.
Thank you.
I don't know if I should be relieved, happy or cry.  I am so relieved that I am not nuts, happy that I have an answer and want to cry now that I have it.
I cried for 2 months when my GP said it was really looking like lupus.  By the time I got to the rhemy's office I was ready to move forward, but she wasn't so sure it was lupus.  So I went through another several months before any helpful medicine was given.  It's such a long frustrating process.  But honestly, the folks here at medhelp were invaluable.  So thankful for my family here.  If I could offer my shoulder for you to cry on I would.  Cause I needed one several years ago too.  
It has been a long road.  I have moved on and accepted the diagnosis.  It is just so hard with the roller coaster that the doctors put you through.  
I had the opposite problem with meds. though.  My doctors wanted to throw everything at me and in the long run it masked possible symptoms.
I have been taking plaquenil for 6mths and after two months of taking it, all my ANAs have been negative.  It has been so frustrating.  
I try to live one day at a time.