Lupus Community
Lupus Flare

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Lupus Flare

I was diagnose with Lupus in 2009; in addition to Lupus, I have Raynaud's.  Nevertheless, I have been blessed not to be on any medication for either diseases. Since my Lupus diagnose, Ive only had two flares until recently.  I went to Florida for a mini vacation and I was out in the sun for an extensive time.  I notice while in Florida my hands swell very bad but as  time progress my swelling went down.  Later that week, my joints to began to ache very bad which I then knew I was having an flare.  By Saturday, the aching and tenderness was gone.  Well, this past week while I was sleep I felt a sharp pain and tenderness in my  left elbow.  When I woke up I realized my elbow was swollen twice the size, red, blueish black.  It was sooo painful I couldn't bend or straighten my arm at all.  I decided to go to my Rheumatologist to see whats going and she advise more blood work and extra to see what is going on with my elbow.  she prescribed predisone for 1 week plus anti-inflammatory pills.  My arm isn't as sore three days later but it is still swollen and bruise.  Do you'll think its a Lupus flare or  just a typical bruise?  Any advice is appreciated.
Just my opinion -
It sounds like you might have bumped it.  I bruise really easily.  Just the slightest little bump produces a horrible looking bruise.  The swellling is probably due to either lupus or RA.  What does your dr. think?
I just spoke with my doctor and he said it is Buritis.  I am not sure if it is related to my Lupus being that my Lupus attacks my joints but he stated its nothing to worry about.  So, hopefully I wont have another attack of this sort.