Lupus Community
Lupus Symptoms But No Lupus?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Lupus Symptoms But No Lupus?

I was diagnosed with Sjogren's last winter. The diagnosis explained a lot of what I thought was due to life style: stress, lack of sleep, dehydration, allergies, etc. I've had all the blood work done and continue to see my rheumatologist. Discussing physical symptoms I mentioned a raised rash I get on my chest, shoulders and arms after I've been out in the sun for extended periods of time.  While my blood work comes back negative for lupus, my rheumatologist says that lupus can have overlapping symptoms.  So do I have lupus, but it's not showing up in blood work? Will lupus eventually develope more?
Hi Lauralou,

I do not have a diagnosis yet, speckled pattern, ANA, 1:1280, other autoantibodies negative, getting a 2nd opinion on Wed.  I have developed food allergies and did not know that was related to Sjogren's?? I can only eat about 8 foods without reacting, have lost 20 pounds and am so tired of the same foods. Has your Rheumy said there is an association with food allergies and Sjogren's ? I have a very dry mouth and dry eyes. My Nurse Practitioner said she was taught to look for other autoimmune diseases if a patient has one since they do overlap.
I didn't know developing food allergies was related to Sjogrens.  Does that go for other allergies as well? I've noticed that I've grown allergic to cats. A have friends who have cats, every time I go for a visit my nose gets runnier and I get itchier, it gets worse and comes on faster everytime. I know may develope other autoimmunes, I also have Raynauds.  I wasn't sure if lupus was a possibility with the rash and muscle indentations but the blood work doesn't show it yet?
I'm just a patient going through what you are going through...trying to nail down a diagnosis.  I understand that some people do develop sero-negative SLE.  Meaning they have the disease, yet they don't develop a positive ANA, etc.  I think this is rather rare.  You may also have mixed connective tissue disease situation, which I believe can be somewhat tested for with a positive RNP autoantibody result.  But I think you would have to test positive for ANA to get that marker, as well.

I was somewhat diagnosed with Sjogren's last year, as well, due to dry eyes, my main symptom.  The rash you describe can go with lupus, but who knows, perhaps, it can be related to Sjogren's, too?  Not sure.  Good luck with your journey to a diagnosis and treatment if you need it.
Thanks to thinkfast and lauralou.

I saw an Allergist who is also a Rheumy on Tues and a Rheumy on Wed, next Wed see a Derm and Rheumy in special clinic at the U of WA.  I had 9 tubes of blood drawn, 16 more lab tests.  Rheumy is leaning toward Sjogren's I think, mentioned the possiblity of a lip biopsy to confirm, will see how the labs turn out. Neither of the 2 dermatologists I have seen said forehead rash ( sure is in the shape of a butterfly to me and to ARNP, have read it can be on the forehead!) said it looks like a lupus rash, will see what the expert says.Other then the ANA 1:1280, speckled pattern, all the other autoantibodies have been negative but Rheumy said I can have Sjogren's without the positive Antibody ! I do not have any pain or fatigue but do have the feeling of feet being so heavy and react to most foods. I am nearly 70 and my heart aches when I read what all the young people on the site are going thru. I pray for all suffering with these diseases.