Lupus Community
Lupus and Agent Orange

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Lupus and Agent Orange

Does anyone know if there is a link between Lupus and Agent Orange? My dad was in Vietnam in 1968 and then I was conceived and had many problems, Lupus and tumors. He will be tested for agent orange next month, should I be?

Donna
My husband was in VN in 68-69. He also has lupus.  He is in a research group out of OK that is doing research on Lupus and Children of people with lupus. There is a blood test for AO but the VA doesn't normally order this test.  Did your dad get a blood test done when he wa there?
My discoid lupus started with a very rare disease called histiocytic necrotizing lymphadenitis ~ then in to lupus ~ discoid lupus.
All of this within days of AO exposure, with a Vet with known AO exposure.
I am Very Interested in the study in OK. In fact, the Veteran was a Native Oklahoman!
Please keep me posted! Thx. Woshi.
Hey there. My name is Zachary from Milton Delaware. My dad was a grunt in Vietnam in 1968. He was one of the ones who was in the thick of the fighting. He was also a mole. In 1991 he passed away. There was no point blank reason on the death certificate as to the exact cause of his death. They said he had systemic lupis. His organs gave out, and you could not touch his body without him being in unbearable pain. I believe agent orange must have had a factor. What do you think? How come the Gov't does not give benefits to those who got agent orange? They used it to clear trees without knowing how harmful it was.
I just thought I would recommend a book I read called Autoimmune Epidemic.  I myself have been dx'd with Lupus and Fibro and although I have no military background I wonder where it came from and how I got it.  That book is very interesting and I think it would give you some information or maybe more questions, I don't know.  Good luck and God Bless on your journey.
Joni
I deveoped discoid lupus and type II diabetes after returning from Vietnam. Lupus affects a much higher % of females, and I have often wondered if there could be a link to agent orange exposure.  Robert
My first husband was in the first Gulf War, where we vaccinated without testing and they were exposed to all kinds of chemicals.  I was not ill until my husband came back, within one year I was very ill.  I have always wondered if that is where it started.  NO ONE in my family tree even has a diagnosed autoimmune disease.....  I am interested to see how the other research project in OK turns out
Professor Nicolson is an expert on Gulf War Syndrome and he's also engaged in CFS, lyme, autism and various autoimmune diseases. Guess what guys ? There seems to be a connection. I even conducted a poll in the fibro/CFS forum (I'm one of the Community Leaders there) and the results were stunning ---- two-thirds of our members had worked in the medical field, had military connections or both.

Garth Nicolson, Ph.D. Chronic Co-Infections in Autism, Lyme and CFS:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/tamiduncan/videos/15/

________________________________________________________________

Prevalence of CFS/fibro in the medical field and/or military families (poll):

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/784467

P.S. ~ I highly recommend checking out the viddler link.... Dr. Nicolson talks about Gulf War Syndrome, toxins and many other illnesses other than lyme, CFS and autism. He even discusses what the military won't ---- how many people died during the Gulf War vs. AFTER the Gulf War.

My friend is currently being examined for lupus. She has bizzarre symptoms and at the same time, her father was just diagnosed with a rare cancer that is only linked with Agent Orange. Get checked.

Her symptoms are a mix of thyroid like symptoms, racing heart weight loss and gain, etc tremors and other neurological symptoms. We've watched her go to doctor after doctor here in AZ and they've recommended everything from warm milk to "not being so stressed out". She was an active mother of 4 (two adopted kids) and very dynamic. Her symptoms started all at once. I think it tragic that doctors automatically think a woman is crazy when she comes in with weird symptoms rather then asking deeper questions. Everything she's going through is, I believe, linked to her father's exposure to AO. Her older brother's kids have been born with serrious problems and one even died shortly after birth.  

My friends dad went from no visible cancer to stage 4 cancer in 6 months (falls into the age "60ish" start time for this AO related cancer). Several doctors at the VA stalled and stalled on the testing and even implied he was "making up his symptoms". Once they confirmed the cancer they handed his wife a stack of forms and said "sue the government for his pending death". How can these fat senators, especially ones like McCane who experienced the pain of this poison, be so incredibly heartless. They KNOW they hurt our precious soliders yet they stall and lie about the care they get. I'm steaming mad and I intend to do EVERYTHING I can to help our soliders and their families.
PLEASE LOOK AT http://www.guamagentorange.info/home  I handled and hand sprayed agent orange herbicides there from sept 1968 to jun 1978...thousands of vets are ill with diabetes II, lupus, IDH, MS, PN, PD, AND MORE..AND SO ARE THE MILITARY KIDS THAT WERE ON BASE AT ANDERSEN AFB...MISCARRIAGES, STILL BIRTHS, BIRTH DEFECTS,...HUNDREDS OF THEM
That is so interesting as my father served in Vietnam in 1968 & 1969, later I was conceived in 1976, and now I have been diagnosed with Lupus (SLE) which im currently on disability for through Social Security.
This post is scary lupus is what I have among a list of other problems and my father served lupus supposed to run in the family......I'm the first to have it among all the other things that's wrong with me..... when I bring this up to drs they look at me like I'm nuts....makes me wonder
I also have SLE and my dad was in vietnam and exposed to AO.  I was born in 1977.  My dad died in July 2011 from a very aggressive lung cancer that they linked to AO.  They put cause of death as AO on his death certificate.  Should I look into disability?  I'm currently doing fine with my lupus but it could change in the future.  
I've been on disability for many years now due to Lupus (SLE).  I always seem to have symptoms that are super rare (skin explosions, shakes and so on).  My Dad served in Nam for two tours and I was conceived afterwards in December of '68.  He's on Veteran Disability for other reasons (such as loosing an ear) but has also applied to receive benefits for AO exposure.  Wondering if children of Vets will ever get compensation for paternal exposure for lupus.  

Found this report that talks about AO exposure being passed down through generations even! :
http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2011/Veterans-and-Agent-Orange-Update-2010.aspx