Lupus Community
Lupus and Fibroids

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Lupus and Fibroids

I have SLE with vasculitis, Reynaud's and peripheral neuropathy. I am on Medrol and Cellcept.
I've just been diagnosed with an enlarged uterus and multiple uterine fibroids. One fibroid is pressing on the back wall of my bladder. I'm afraid to have a hysterectomy, due to the very real possibility of the the Cellcept preventing the healing process.
Has anyone else had this surgery while on immunosupressants?
Has anyone had the fibroid ablation treatment with MRI?
I would be interested to hear from patients who have experienced these procedures.
Thanks!
Yeah I have had a complete histerectomy , that surgery was planned so I was able to stop my medications before and a little while after. Yet I have had several emerency surgeries when I didn't have time to stop them all, the Doctors just had to deal with it.

Some surgeries I can't have any more unless it is an emerency, like I need back surgery yet cause of my history they say they rather keep me comfy for right now.

One thing that has really helped after surgery is hidaprocide (spelling I know isn't right) in gell form and I have always changed my dressing more then the doctors had wanted me to.
I have SLE and was just told yesterday that I have fibroids on my uterus. I've been in a lot of pain with cramps and aches in my lower back, abdomen, hips and legs. I was told by an ER physician that fibroids should not cause that much pain. I didn't have this issue during my routine pap 3 months ago but my lupus has been flare a lot lately. I'm wondering if there is some coralation with Lupus and Fibroids.

My aunt had to get a hysterectomy due to fibroids and a breast removed since her body could not overcome the complications.
lupus can give you complacations in the strangest places as far as fibroids i just don't know yet I do have alot of friends with them and that ER doc was totally wrong the hurt like @%$#.You said for your normal pap the doc didn't know you had fibroids. When lupus wants to go after an organ it can in some cases work very fast, once my back was in alot of pain so bad I had to be taken by ambulance to the ER after many test they couldn't find out a thing and I was home by 11 pm yet by 4:30 am my right kidney exploded, so see how fast it can go?

You didn't say how old you are or if you have any children. I had my hister two weeks before I turned 25.

I would say the pain you feel in your back, hips and legs is what I call (lupus arthritis) and that itself can put you onto the floor. Has your personal doc given you any pain meds for the pain you in? Mine does.

I hope and pray that the flare your in soon lets up, take care and may The Lord put His arms around you and give you some relief.
I'm 26 (dx at 18) and worried that I may have the syndrome my aunt had since i do not have kids. I will see my GYN Monday and hopefully I can get more answers.Did you have kids b4 the hyst?

I've been in pain for 6 days now and the ER gave me Vicodin for the excruciating pain. I see within myself that the Lupus can work very fast.
No dear we didn't have any live birth, I had 6 misscarrages and one still born because of other medical problems yet no one can say we didn't try yet I do have a friend who has lupus and fibroids and she had a set of twins.

I'm happy your going to your GYN, let us know what you find out.
Hi :) can you tell me what your syptoms (symptoms) are like with vasculitis and peripheral neuropathy?
Hi, I am 36 years old with an 11 year old daughter. I was diagnosed with Lupus at 18. I had a C-section when I gave birth at the age of 25. I was on Prednisone and it took 6 months to heal from that and I still have issues with the surgical site. I was told 3 months ago that I have large uterine fibroids. I went back today to the ob/gyn and they have gotten larger. He is suggesting that I consider having them surgically removed. The surgery does not scare me but the recovery does. Fortunately, I have been off of Prednisone for about 9 months now so this time may be better but I'm still not sure about it.