Lupus Community
Lupus and Hormone Replacement Drug (Premerin mainly)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Just wondering how many people here have lupus or some other autoimmune disease and have been on hormone replacement drugs at some point.  I'm mostly thinking of Premerin but any others as well.
Hey little married woman,

I was placed on strong birth control (BC) to shut my cycle down to see if it would help before they took my uterus out.  Before that, I had never been on BC.  I believe I was having trouble w/ lupus before I was placed on BC.
Well hello old friend.  I have been wanting to sit down and right to you but everything has been keeping me jumping.  I seem to have a minute here and there and that's all.  How are you?  I love being married.  I have a wonderful husband that loves me so much and I am so in love with him even after we have known each other 16 years and been dating 9.  So I guess it's real love after that long, huh?  ;)

I wrote this post because we have a friend who was put on Premerin (she is in her 50's and going through menopause).  After taking it for several months she developed DILE (drug induced lupus erethmatosis).  She got off of the medication and her symptoms slowly went away.  I have been on Premerin since I was 26 when I had to have a hysterectomy and I recently about a month ago asked the doctor to take me off.  As a matter of fact my new gyno won't even prescribe that drug.  It would be a miracle if I felt better but I'm not getting my hopes up.  I am in so much pain right now (legs and hips mostly) that I just want to take some steroids to help but I was dx'd last week with osteoarthritis in my right hip.  Lats year when they did a bone scan it was osteopenia.  In one year of off and on steroid use it has become osteoarthritis.  So my bones are deteriorating.  I am worried now that as I get older if I fall my hip might break and then what...  For now I just wish this pain would go away if onl for one day.
I wanted to make this post to warn anyone that might have DILE because they could possibly have it all go away if they got off the drug.  How awesome would that be???
(((((HUGS)))))
I started taking Premarin when I was 23 years old. Early hysterectomy. That drug caused me to have so many side effects, worse one being severe stomach pain on lower left side and excruciating bowel movements. I would nearly pass out and my blood pressure would bottom out. Ambulance even had to be called. I stayed on it til I was 41 and then i went off of it.

My doctor told me about Estradiol which is a natural hormone not made from horse pee like Premarin. It has been a wonder drug, no side effects and completely keeps the hot flashes away and only takes 2 weeks to work.
Started taking oral estradiol about 15 years ago post hysterectomy.  Progestin makes me sick and a little crazy.  I switched to transdermal estradiol about a year ago.  One less pill to swallow.  Without replacement, my skin thins, osteoporosis sets in, and homocysteine goes up.  I have no side effects at all.