Lupus and baby...
Hello, i was diagnosed with discoid lupus at the age of 16, and now I'm 21 and 4 and half months pregnant. I'm just a bit worried for my baby. Has anyone gone through a successful pregnancy with lupus and have a healthy baby?
Hi!
Yes, women do have successful pregnancies and the number is increasing in best of hands who carefully monitor the autoimmune disease during the pregnancy. The complications like flares, premature births, miscarriage, low birth weight etc are better managed today, but yes, the risk always remains. There may be an increased risk of neonatal lupus, but again this is usually self limiting and the baby remain healthy. So, please be in touch with your Obs and Gyn at every step. All the best! Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thank you so much! I am currently under watch and have been considered high risk. I am currently seeing a parentologist, my rheumologist of 3 years, my regular OB, and an optemetrist. They are all working very closely together so I believe I am in great hands! :D
It is very common to have lupus and have a healthy baby. The chances of you passing Lupus on to them though will be a higher rate then if you did not have lupus. As long as you continue to monitor you and the babies health, you should be alright. Best of luck.
Yes, it can be done! I'm holding my healthy little girl right now after a natural childbirth. The way I was told, (I asked before I got pregnant) was that with lupus, if you get pregnant you are already doing good. For you, I would highly recommend finding a doctor who is familiar with autoimmunity and pregnancy to help you get through the entire thing. They can follow your pregnancy making sure you are doing all that you can to maintain your pregnancy. Please do not worry though.. my OB/GYN said this about lupus and pregnancy: "All of my lupus patients delivered successfully." Good luck!
I don't know if this is true, but wanted to at least let you know it might be true.,,my daughter was born with a heart defect and I was told after that sometimes mothers with autoimmune issues can have babies with heart defects. If possible, ask for a fetal echocardiogram to make sure.
Take care