Lupus Community
Lupus and eyesight problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Lupus and eyesight problems

Ive been diagnosed with lupus for just under a year now and have recently noticed that i am having a major issue with my eyesight and blurred vision, just coming and going! I know lupus often displays itself in different ways but has anyone else had thses issues?

Ruthie
I may possibly have Lupus and I will tell you that I have blurred vision also.
Hi Ruthie! Hope you're finding peace amidst the storm these days! I'm taking plaquenil / hydroxycholorquinine sulfate (gen.) for discoid lups. Plaquenil was used in very high doses during WWII as an anti-malarial. Therefore, I have to have my peripheral vision checked once a year.
I've never heard of vision problems being directly connected to lupus though. I know they use oral steriods, ie. prednisone, to treat lupus, and vision problems, but haven't heard of it the other way around.
Don't want to alarm you, but, MS causes blurred vision. I knew a lady in OK that was first diagnosed b/c of problems with her vision; such a sweet lady!

Do you use artificial sweeteners? Have you read the articles about Equal / Nutrasweet / Aspartame and their connections a Handful of medical conditions? It's horrible.
Maybe I'll see if I can post the article on my profile page here... if that doesn't work, and you're interested, message me, and I'll email you a copy, okay?

You're in my thoughts and prayers in the days and weeks ahead Ruthie!
Sincerely, Woshi
Hi Ruthie
I was diagnosed with lupus about 5 years ago.  It's important to see your optomitrist for yearly visits unless you are taking Placqnil, then it's every 6 months.  I have heard of dry eyes as a lupus thing but not blurry vision.  MS can cause vision problems and you can have both MS and Lupus.  See your docter, better yet get a referral for an eye specialist and set your mind at ease.  Knowledge is power.  I had may eyes tested last month and my optomitrist put me through all the tests as placqnil can cause spot blindness.

Good Luck,
Peace,
Nancy
My boyfriend actually has had blurred vision for about 5 years now, it comes an goes on and off like yours but he never would go to the hospital for it. Well he was diagnosed with Lupus about 3 weeks ago and they say that hell look his vision soon in that eye, but its only in one eye! I dont understand either but I also have heard that it is from the Lupus..... everyone may be different tho.

Rhea
found this on another site, http://www.northeastlupus.org.uk/katfaq/symptoms.htm#discoid

Eye Conditions in Lupus
Lupus can cause numerous problems with the eyes, either directly, through medications or due to overlap disorders. Some of these problems are:

Episcleritis: inflammation of the tissues overlying the sclera (sclera: the thick, white tissue of the eyeball)
Scleritis: Inflammation of the sclera.
Uveitis/Iritis: Inflammation of the middle layer of the eye including the iris, lens its muscles. Iritis (a specific form of uveitis) is very painful and typically accompanied by photophobia (abnormal intolerance to light). Untreated uveitis can lead to blindness.
Vasculitis (retinal): Inflammation of the vessels supplying blood/nutrients to the retina
Optic Neuritis: Inflammation of the optic nerve
Other concerns: Scarring and inflammation of the conjunctiva, cotton wool (deposits in the liquid part of the eye), dry eyes (either as a result of lupus or of Sjögren's Syndrome.)
Many medications can cause dry eyes, mouth and other mucous membranes . Any anticholinergic drug can cause this. Examples of such drugs are antihistamines such as Benadryl and Phenergan, pain medications, sleep medications, tricyclic antidepressants, antispasmodics, muscle relaxants and antianxiety medications.

Plaquenil, a popular and very useful immunosuppressive used to treat Lupus, can potentially cause retinal damage. It is rare but happens often enough that any patient on this drug should have a baseline macular check and field test before starting the drug (or soon thereafter) and repeated tests every 6 months.
I was told i tested positive for Lupus, then they started backtracking and said a second test was negative.  I think it is a VA not wanting the hassle of paying to disable me.  
Anyway, since that time, I have a terrible time seeing.  I simple cannot focus.  The floaters are so bad that the doctors told me they about the worse they had ever seen.  They said I was in danger of retinal detachment.  If I do see any flashing lights I am to get to the hospital immediately.  They do acknowledge that my eyes are terribly light sensitive.  The only thing they can't explain is why I can't see to read, the television or anything else in front of me.  I have to continuously blink over and over trying to focus on whatever it is.  It is just awful.  They can't find anything to explain this problem.  I am having some more test run soon, which I think they should have done in the 1st place.  
Anybody knows, 2 out of 3 is the better choice especially when it pertains to somebody's life for goodness sake.  Good luck with your problems.  Hope you find out the cause.
Hi God bless you I am a independent minister in the Philippines, ivied Gog bless you i am a independent minister in the Philippines, i had Lupus about or 5 years now, I can’t take the Sun at all it makes my bones and joints throb like a tooth ache, and for the last few months I feel like am going blind in my right eye, there’s something like a thick film covering it and making everything blurry, to the point I can’t use my right at all for reading or studying! had Lupus about or 5 years now, I can’t take the Sun at all it makes my bones and joints throb like a tooth ache, and for the last few months i feel like am going blind in my right eye, there’s something like a thick film covering it and making everything blurry, to the point i cant use my right at all for reading or studying! can this be from the Lupus?

Thanks and God Bless

P Johnny
sorry about the bad spelling i just noticed it!
I, too, am experiencing terrible blurring in my eyes.  My eye doctor told me my eyes were terribly dry and instructed me to use eye drops (over the counter) daily.  While it does ease the blurriness a little, I'm getting frightened because I feel my eyesight is getting much worse.  I was told that the dry eye is a sympton of lupus.  I will go back to my rhuemotologist and get back on my meds.  I took myself off of them years ago.  I'll keep reading up on this.  This eyesight problem is all new to me, and I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this.
Marian G.
EYE TROUBLE!!!  YOU BET.  I went to a Neurologist in University of California San Francisco specifically to get a prescription of Low dose Naltrexone.  Well, I also told him of some symptoms I've had that remind me of MS symptoms.  He checked me and found something in my left eye.....said the "discs" were not swollen, which is good, but said the pupil enlarges with a flashlight beam directed at it.  Also tested my red visual acuity.  My left eye saw pink on one side of the red item, whereas my right eye saw a dark red.  So, he called it "red something or other" and said it's only found in MS patients.  I haven't seen a name that starts with red for any of the eye problems that match mine.  So, I'm a little lost.  He's an awesome doctor, so I have to trust him.  He's ordering an MRI of my spine and brain.  When it's done, I'll put in here what it showed.  Hopefully, I won't have MS also.  Got enough troubles.  
I've been recently experiencing wavy eyesight and just fell on this sight looking for info.  I was diagnosed with Lupus 10 years ago.  Never would have thought to make the connection between the two!
HAVE DOCTOR CHECK FOR OPTIC NEURITIS!  IMPORTANT TO GET TREATMENT!
I have lupus and vasculitis.  I have vision problems along with my lupus.  Every now and then I have black spots that come into my line of vision.  I can't see through them and they just seem to float into my eye and then float away.  I have found that this is due to the vasculitis, which goes hand and hand with lupus.  I don't know if this is the kind of vision problems you are having, or if this helps...but hopefully it does!!

Hi i am Terri have had  lupus for the last 5 yrs, i have had strange things happening to my eyes for the lasr year. Been to the doctors  and he sent me to the hospital who in turn did some tests and say they can see nothing wrong with my eyes, but there has to be as i keep getting blured vision also double vision and a tight feeling in my eyes that feels like my eyes are being pushed out of my head. Can anyone pls help ? thanks terri
Hi and welcome to MedHelp.

I too have had vision problems for quite some time.  All of the above too.  Although they have never sent me for more testing.  They just say everything looks good.  

They burn really bad, mostly in the morning.  I use sustain eye drops.  You can get them at any department store or drug.  It's a little pricey, but worth it.  The dr. gave me a sample of refresh, but I found I like sustain better.  I also need reading glasses.  But my eyes get very bad eye strain.  

Wierd symptoms come and go, but nothing shows up on test.  So there is nothing they can do to help.  It's frustrating.  Wish I could help out more.  Perhaps someone else could weigh in on this subject.
I'm having some bad issues and am getting in to see my ophthamalogist ASAP.  I'm so worried about Uveitis or issues around plaquenil.  I encourage all lupus sufferers to get regular eye exams and to get back in if you have issues.
Yes, have had that problem for long time now.  (And now, many bouts of eye-twitching.)  Received eye glass prescription -- but the prescription changed almost immediately.  As does the eyesight, blurry one minute, then not.  Dry, then not.  Etc.
I found that calcium and magnesium really help w/ the eye twitches.  It might be something you will want to try and give it at least a month to evaluate if it's working.  

I also have SLE it ***** had upper eyelid surgery done in may now both my drs want me to go see a specicaltst again Im still having problems with the blurring & changes with my vision what do we do if you guys are me i have enough of drs poking prodding at me to last a lifetimealot of times people look & think theres nothing wrong walk in our shues then talk to me thanks for letting me vent its nice to know that im not the one
Yes dear going to the Doctors can seem to be a bother when you have something like lupus. I know with mine I have to see my main doc then go to this one then that one and then yet another one for something else.

I can only tell what I have done in the past rather it is wrong or right. When I was told that I was the forth person in my family that I had Lupus my reaction was to laugh for I knew at that moment that my life would be full of doctors, pharmacies and labs. I go as little as possible yet when something is really wrong like in 2007 when I spent 10 months out of 12 in the hospital I follow up no matter if I have to go every day. Yet when I feel good (yes there are good days) I don't see any at all.

First you need a good team of doctors that not only work with each other yet with you also, if they talk to me like I'm some kind of idiot then I find some one else and they have to take time to answer even my silly questions. I remember one time a doctor and I sat and talked about the shoes I was wearing and then when I was relaxed we went on and talked doctor talk.

I would go ahead and see the specialist and see what he has to say, you don't want to loose your eye sight.

Also take time and do something for yourself, if it is a small walk in a park, reading a book or getting your nails done.

Hope things get better for you.
Luppylupus
I have just been diagnosed with lupus two months ago and I have been getting these little marks sort of waving in and out of my vision at times...it's very odd, its like there is dirt (that doesn't hurt) in my eye...so odd. I have to blink a few times to get rid of them. Plus I am coming across quite rude to neighbours etc as I'm nearly squinting to see them across the road and by the time they pass I've recognised them. v
ya. I get blurred vision off and on all the time. my dad had Lupus too and I remember he would get so mad he'd throw his glasses across the room. I used to think it was so silly, but now I totally understand the frustration!
Ditto here too.  My eye dr. told me that these symptoms are associated w/ dry eyes.  Things will go from being blurry to being in focus.  This could point to Sjogren's, which is a progressive autoimmune disease.  

The "dirt" in your eyes could be floaters.  This could indicate something as simple as getting older to something more serious like your retina is about to detach.  If you are taking Plaquinel, you really need to have your eyes checked every 6 months.  I have a super abundance of floaters, but my eyes always check out great except for the excessive dryness.  
I was told I had Lupus just over a yr ago. In the last 4 months my eye sight has gone blurry vision. With the pain feeling like I have the flu,every joint in my body hurts. itchy rash across the noses this just really *****.
hi my name is Ashley I was told I have a mild case of lupus and the dr. wants to start me on plauuenil 400md a day but im scared because of the chance that I cn lose my eye site im 24 yrs old and was woundering if you take the med plaquenil and how long have you takin it for if you don't mind to reply to me by emal I would realy love to know a lil more thanks Ashley     my email is     ***@**** if yu don't mind pls send me an email
Ashley, Medhelp scrambles e-mail addresses.  It's really for your protection.  Anyway, I've been on plaquinel for 5 years and have not had any issues w/ it.  I remember being concerned with the same thing.  Actually there is only a 1% chance it will affect your retina.  I get my eyes checked every 6 months.  I would encourage you to keep those appointments and educate yourself w/ the signs that something like that is going on.  I know plaquinel helped my symptoms greatly.  It took somewhere between 6 months to a year b4 I saw the full effect of its benefits.  Blessings~