Lupus Community
Lupus and herpes?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Lupus and herpes?

Does lupus make me susceptible to herpes?  Do the following symptoms indicate a herpes attack? Several times a year I have these symptoms: Starts with sore throat on one side. The next day on the same side I have face pain around my eye, skin pain that goes up into my hairline and headache. I develop scratchy eye pain.  The skin is so sensitive around my eye and hairline that it is very painful to touch.  This lasts about a week, climaxing on about the 2nd day.  I have had this probably 25 times in the past 10 years. A few of those times I had a cold sore on the same side.  The symptoms seem to accompany a lupus flare, fever, fatigue.
Hi!

The symptoms appear to a lupus flare along with a flare of rash and joint pain. If you have a lupus rash, then you need two things primarily. A sunscreen along with a wide brim hat (to prevent direct exposure to sun) and corticosteroids. Usually treatment begins with application of corticosteroid cream, and if this fails tablets and injections are used.  Some doctors also prescribe the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine.

You may also take any anti-allergic medication such as an anti-histamine. Please discuss this with your doctor.

Pain in lupus can be due to lupus arthritis, or due to pain in muscles and tendons around the joint, or it may be unrelated to lupus. The mainstay of treatment in lupus arthritis are NSAIDS, such as naproxen or ibuprofen. If the patient does not respond to these or NSAIDS are contraindicated for some reason then low doses of glucocorticoids such as prednisone are used.

If both these drugs fail, then Disease-Modifying Antirheumatic Drugs (DMARDs) such as azathioprine and methotrexate could be used. However please talk to your doctor regarding this.

Again muscle and tendon pain is treated with rest, physical therapy and the above drugs. Sometimes steroid injections are given directly into the joint or tendon.

If still there is no relief from pain, then other causes of pain such as hypothyroidism, peripheral neuropathy, rheumatoid arthritis, MS, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome etc are looked into as the case.

Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!