Lupus skin disorder
My 87 year old mom has lupus that affects her skin.  She is on quinicrine and placquenil.  It causes her arms and legs to be covered in dark grey blotches.  This embarrasses her and she always wears long sleeves and pants.  If we try to reduce the meds she gets red scaly spots that appear on her face as well as her body.  This seems to be the lesser of two evils.  My questions are:
1.  what kind of lupus is this?
and
2.   what are other people's experiences with this disorder.
Thanks,  Terry
Hi!
Actually your mother does a wise thing by using long sleeved clothes. If she has lupus rash, then she also needs to do two other things primarily: use a sunscreen along with a wide brim hat (to prevent direct exposure to sun) and use of corticosteroids. Usually treatment begins with application of corticosteroid cream, and if this fails tablets and injections are used.  Some doctors also prescribe the antimalarial drugs such as hydroxychloroquine, Quinacrine and Plaquenil. She may also take any anti-allergic medication such as an anti-histamine. Use of steroids and anti-histamines often prevent the dark blotches. Please discuss this with your doctor. Take care!