Lupus Community
Lupus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Lupus

Are there any specific skin products ,such as face and body wash,moisturizers with spf, shampoo, suggested for those with very very sensitive skin , itching and rashes? My doctor is no help. Also, clothing.... everything is a blend and I itch with everything! I was wondering what other women use and could suggest or perhaps a site I could visit. I already called the Lupus Foundation and they really were no help. I also am battleing thyroid and celeic disease. I would appreciate if someone could direct me. Thank you
I use Banana Boat sunblock 100spf Ultra Defense.  It doesn't have perfume and I can use it around my eyes.

I really feel for you as far as your clothes goes.  I've been having trouble with deodorant making me itch.  Have you tried different washing detergents?

For foundation, I use Physicians Formula mineral powder.  It is hypoallergenic and covers the rash on my face fairly well.
Thank you for your suggestions. I can't wear makeup but I will give Banana Boat a try.I've wasted so much time taking products back,some I could not return so wasting money is a positive.
I use Tom's 24hr. odor protective natural original care deodorant and find this to work well. It is unscented and is free from aluminum. I've tried them all and this one does not cause itching or discomfort and reduces the armpit sweating.
I just tried for washing my face, Neutrogena ultra gentle daily cleanser, forget it! I'm burning on my face and have more redness, What do you use, if I may ask? Also, anylluck with a shampoo?
For washing clothes. I use Arm and Hammer for sensitive skin and  unscented. I can't tell if it works because I have itching all the time.  
I typically can use most products designed for babies.  For sunscreen Waterbabies is great, I use JNJ baby shampoo and lotion as well.  Although I have been using a sulfate free shampoo that seems to be great.

To control my naturally fuzzy hair I use argon oil, not the adultrated garbage from the drug store, but a no additives version.  It is a little pricy, but one 30 dollar bottle has lasted me well over a year.

The only washing powder I can use is All Free and Clear or Dreft.

For powder I use baby powder.  I am glow in the dark pale so it works well for me.

I have to buy natural fiber clothes, Cotton, wool etc.  Old navy/Gap seems to cause less issues, and they have many items 100% cotton. When I have issues with threads I use Benedry free and clear cream, and low dose benedryl.

Hope this helps
Thank you msnova74.... I am a lot like you with the pale skin and frizzy hair so your suggestions really have helped me to look into not too expensive products.
Was wondering, the unadultrated argon oil, would I get this online or could you tell me the name of the company?

I am allergic to Benedry so I use Hydrocortisone cream 1% but it does not help that much. My doc gave me Atarax but I try not to take that.

I am also allergic to wool so 100% cotton is all I can wear. I will look in the Gap and Old Navy. Thank you ever so much again.
My daughter has got me hooked on coconut oil.  She uses it to take her make-up off and moisturize her dry hair.  I certainly don't have the issues you guys have, but my daughter has lots of issues with things irritating her skin.
I have coconut oil in the house that I use for cooking. I will use a small amount of that and see if it irritates my skin. I have long hair as you do karajo and it touches my face. I love wearing it down.Thanks for that tip.... I've nothing to lose except more irritation.
My daughter says Marrocon Argon Oil irritates her skin.  I do use Argon Oil on my hair w/o any side affects.
Gosh, the pure oil on line is $45.00 and if I react to it, then I have to pay for shipping to send it back. Do you know if any store that maybe is in my area that would carry the unadultrated kind? I'm having a little success with the Waterbabies sunscreen but having a problem with the washes and lotions as they have fragrence and that bothers me. I was surprised that the J&J baby products would have anything like that in them. I have to take them back and see if there is something else in the line that is "unadultrated". This is a journey, thats for sure. :-) I wonder if baby oil would work to control the frizzies but I'm hesitant because it may be to greasy.
Since the doc gave me the Depro Medro injection, I have been pain free in my legs and arms and have full range of motion. The first since Oct. 15th,2012. I can't have cortisone often due to my severe osteoporosis. I was wondering if you and or your daughter excercise and what do you do? Before I got slapped with this, I was a runner, use to run 3-5 miles at least five days a week with toneing on the weekends. Since Oct. I've gained 15 lbs, and flabby, which is a lot for me since I am petite. I'm miserable because I can't move and gaining weight. I am also battleing thyroid and celiec disease so my food mainly consists of high  gluten free foods, except bakery products because I hate the taste of them. Just was wondering if you guys did a special workout for Lupus. I've searched the web but the one video from the Lupus fondation is not longer available. Forget Yoga, my flexibility is gone. Thank you for your suggestions.
I don't do much exercising.  On days that I feel good, I usually get out in the yard and work and usually end up over-doing-it.  :(  I just try to eat healthy.  Cut back on sugar (which really makes me feel bad), and fried stuff.  I had a Nissen Fundoplication a year ago whiched made me feel full really fast.  Consequently, I lost weight.  But I do know what you mean by it being hard to loose weight when it's hard to be active on a consistant basis.  I also have a big rubber band that I use to strengthen my muscles.  I've always been told that swimming is a good sport, but I think the chlorine affects me too much.  I try to stay away from chemicals because of that.  
Farrah:
I am sorry to hear what you r dealing with. It took my MD's over a year to diagnose thyroid problems/graves disease. Eventhough u r supposed to lose weight, I have gained. Very frustrating b/c I have always been about a size 6 and I am at now a 12. I have found that sugar throws my body out of wack, so on my own, I have been eating as if I had celiac, and it is much better. Never had an issue with sugar til now. I have something else going on-I think it is lupus and after losing so much time in my life being sick- I am only 39, I will not accept no for a referral to a rheumatologist. SO sick and tired of he chronic fatigue and sleeping so much of the day. Just ready to enjoy my life w/ my hubby and 10 yr old daughter. Trust your instincts. I knew I had a thyroid problems and had all the symptoms 1 year before diagnosed, I tried to tell MD, and he blew me off. SO many trips to er by ambulance and trips to md. No more shyness. I am aggressive, in the Kaiser system, and if they can't help me by referring me to Rheum, then I will demand referral to UCSF or Stanford. I have always had a great career, dressed well, always kept up my appearance, health, clean house, hair done, etc. For the past year, I have not been able to work-going through medical separation, have not worn make up and live in sweats, b/c my energy is so non-existent and I just can't do it. I would not say I am depressed, but completely zapped on energy. Eventhough I have not been active, I have been on about a 300 cal/day diet ALL healthy. I have gained weight and I hate it, but I still have a swollen abdomen and have lost a little bit of weight since starting thyroid meds. I just don't know. The only thing I am sure of is I got sick with all this during a very bad flu/on antibiotics and went through extremely stressful events, all at once-most ever in my life. That is when all of this started. Abdominal scans, brain scan, etc, showing normal. Been to 7 dermatologists for these rashes and they all tell me something different and don't help. I feel they r ignoring other symptoms- very flakey hair for the past year, skin changes, rash on face when exposed to sun, swelling in hands-have not been able to wear size 7 wedding in in a little over a year, and lots of joint stiffness, pain, etc. I will get to the bottom of this, but in the meantime, I am just existing, A shell of an active, put together person I used to be. Feel so bad for my family, but my hubby really loves me and is by my side understanding, Let me know how you r. Thanks, Lori
Thank you for your post and concern. I am so sorry that you are going through all the frustration and simply not feeling well. I have had reactions to both anti-malaria drugs so I cannot be treated for the Lupus except for NSAIDS and Atarax. What I did do for myself was I went to the library and there is a book by Dr. Daniel J Wallace titled 'The Lupus Book",5th edition, for patients and their families. WOW! What a book for lupus patients! I was so impressed that I bought it from Amazon and it is with me all the time. Check it out. He explains everything so well and easy for the lay person. He also gives websites for SPF clothing, hair products, etc. It is my second Bible.That book helped me more than the Rheumatologist! Let me know if you read it and what your opinion is of it.He has a practice in California, L.A. and If I lived there, I would visit him for another opinion.He is still in practice and only specializes in Lupus patients.His book may help you even if just a litlle. I hope this finds you feeling better. Keep me posted . Lynne