Lupus Community
Mycophenolate
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Mycophenolate

Has anyone else been on Mycophenolate and had the side effects of severe muscle spasms, headaches and fatigue? I called my doctor 4 days ago and he has not called me back. I was taking 500mg twice per day and when I told my doctor at my last appointment that I was having these symptoms,he said that he thought it was ortho related and doubled the dose. My spasms got much worse and included terrible headaches and fatigue. Since he has not returned my call, and I know he got it, I spoke to his nurse, I have weaned off of it and feel 75% better already.
Blank
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi!
Yes, mycophenolate can cause bad headaches. The drug can also cause cramps and fatigue. This is also corroborated by the fact that you feel a lot better on stopping the drug. Please make a note of this and seek an appointment with your doctor immediately. You can be put on some other drug for lupus (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory or NSAIDS, Disease-Modifying Antirheumatic Drugs OR DMARDs such as azathioprine and methotrexate, or steroids or some other immunosuppressant). Take care!
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi!
Yes, mycophenolate can cause bad headaches. The drug can also cause cramps and fatigue. This is also corroborated by the fact that you feel a lot better on stopping the drug. Please make a note of this and seek an appointment with your doctor immediately. You can be put on some other drug for lupus (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory or NSAIDS, Disease-Modifying Antirheumatic Drugs OR DMARDs such as azathioprine and methotrexate, or steroids or some other immunosuppressant). Take care!
Blank
Thank you so much for your response. This has helped tremendously. I have battled with the decision of dropping this medication. My doctor did finally call me yesterday and I told him that I had stopped it. I have been on hydroxychloroquine and prednisone for the last year and I will continue with those for now. I also take ibuprofen 800 mg three times daily and flexeril as needed.
Thanks again,
Lisa

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Lupus Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949