Lupus Community
Need help with lab results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Need help with lab results

I want to give you a little history.  A year ago I had a positive ANA but I never saw the lab results.  Then I had a new dr. and he ordered new tests.  He said the ANA was negative.  Recently I had another new doctor order more tests.  I did get to see the actual results but I am a little confused on how to read it.  The doctor attached a letter that said "blood testing showed no signs of lupus." However- this is what the ANA result was "positive, smooth/speckled; titer 1:160"
The research I have done says that this result WOULD in fact be reflective of lupus.  So- I am confused.  Research I found said smooth and speckled indicated lupus?????  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
ANAs are found in patients who have various autoimmune diseases, but not only autoimmune diseases. ANAs can be found also in patients with infections, cancer, lung diseases, gastrointestinal diseases, hormonal diseases, blood diseases, skin diseases, and in elderly people or people with a family history of rheumatic disease. ANAs are actually found in about 5% of the normal population.

The ANA results are just one factor in diagnosing, and must be considered together with the patient's clinical symptoms and other diagnostic tests. Medical history also plays a role because some prescription drugs can cause "drug-induced ANAs".

What is the incidence of ANA in various diseases or conditions?

Statistically speaking the incidence of positive ANA (in percent) per conditon is:
Systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus or SLE) - over 95%
Progressive systemic sclerosis (scleroderma) - 60-90%
Rheumatoid Arthritis - 25-30%
Sjogren's syndrome - 40-70%
Felty's syndrome - 100%
Juvenile arthritis - 15-30%

I hope you find this helpful. Do you have any health symptom at all. Why were the tests ordered to begin with

Tara
The homogeneous (smooth) pattern is found in a variety of connective tissue diseases, some rheumatic diseases, or in patients taking particular drugs.

Speckled pattern seen in SLE, numerous other autoimmune diseases and in some healthy individuals who show low amounts of antibody.  1:160 is not all that high.

Spend time in the sun prior to any future ANA test.  If you have lupus, it will cause the ANA to spike....if not it won't affect the test.  
Thanks for the information.  Yes- I have lots of the symptoms of lupus and I am already on Plaquenil.  I had major surgery a year and a half ago.  Five months after my surgery I started having these symptoms.  I have the butterfly rash, I have sun sensitivity, extreme weakness and fatigue, I sleep alot, and my joints hurt really bad.  Those are just some of them.  So- my neurologist sent me to a rheumy.  That is when the first ANA came back positive.  This dr wasn't very nice- very dismissive.  So- I decided to go to a new dr.  I went to him in March and he ordered the test that I posted earlier.  So- considering the symptoms I have....would the lab results indicate lupus at all?  I don't want to have lupus.... I am just too young to feel so bad.  (I am 34 and I am a female)
Thanks for the added information.  

Has Plaquinel helped in any way  I'm not sure that I am officially dx w/ lupus, but my dr. told me verbally.  On my chart nothing is said about a dx.  I'm thankful.  I'm just glad they are keeping me on plaquinel because it has helped so very much.  

I too ventured out to find another rhemy because the one I'm seeing acts crazy.  She tells me to go to the lab and tell them I want a CBC or that "I" need to keep an eye on my vit D level so it doesn't get too high.  Now how am "I" supposed to do that w/o some blood work ordered by her.  Anyway, the dr. that I went to see was very rude.  So I am back at my old dr. and trying to be satified.  

I've heard that plaquinel can cause your ANA to go down and even be negative.  FYI
Oh- Plaquenil has helped tremendously!!!  I have never gotten an official diagnosis either.  My last dr. said I may not ever get an official diagnosis.  I told him as long as he didn't take me off plaquenil I didn't care. I honestly don't know how I would cope without the medicine.  I am thankful the dr is keeping me on it even though he isn't convinced it is lupus. (that kind of surprises me)
I have heard that Plaquenil can cause the ANA to go down also.  So- you would think... I still had a positive test even on the medicine.  So.... I would think (I know I am no dr) but you would think that if I wasn't on the meds- the ANA would be higher!
I am sorry you are dealing with a quack dr. too!  It is so frustrating!  I not only have symptoms of lupus but I have something called Chiari Malformation that drs are clueless about too!  So- kind of double whammy!  I sometimes feel more educated about the topics than they are...that's always fun!!  lol
Hi i recently had my app with my rheumy and she was dismissive of my symptoms also. I have the rash on my face joint pain kidney problems dry eyes dry mouth(sjogrens symptoms) linked with SLE with raised rheumatoid factor in my blood. I have had high positive cardiolipin ( antiphospholid syndrome) another  autoimmue disease linked to SLE. Mouth ulcers for three months at a time. IBD, brain fog, slceritis, tinitus, puritus, sun sensitivity. Need i go on all of the due to inflammation which is her speciality her diagnosis was that they were all seperate indivdual symptoms not linked or autoimmune but hormonal as these symptoms all flare around the time of my period. For those who know lupus sufferers suffer more during their periond as the hormones cause flares.

I went back to my doc and told him i was not happy and asked him to refer me to the lupus specialist hospital st thomas in london. He was very good and i have my appointment next week so not even a long waiting list. Please dont give up and ask to be referred to someone at st thomas.

If you do have lupus dont be afraid there are lots of things you can do for yourself to help.

If i get a definate dx of lupus i am going to fast for 40 days on just fruit and water to help reset my immune system. Google it. It is supposed to help and there is no harm in trying. Also look upp the list of foods that cause inflammation and learn how to cook and prepare food as overcooking foods can cause them to become inflammatory.

hope this helps

Tara
Don't know if I have posted the 11 criteria for lupus w/ you.  You must have at least 4 of the 11 to recieve a dx.

They are:
1. malar rash over cheeks (butterfly rash)
2. discoid rash, red raised patches
3. photosensitivity - reaction to sunlight, resulting in skin rash
4. oral and nose ulcers
5. arthritis
6. serositis - inflamation (inflammation) of the lining of the lung or heart
7. reanl disorder - excessive protein in urine and/or cellular casts
8. neurologic disorder - seizures, or psychosis
9. anemia or low white blood count or lymphopenia or low platelet count
10. positive ANA
11. positive anti-DNA or anti-Sm, or antiphospholipid antibody or false pos. syphilis test

You listed #1, 3, 4, & 11.  I'm assuming your ANA is neg.  That is probably why you didn't get a dx.  SPEND TIME IN THE SUN PRIOR TO YOUR NEXT ANA.  It's possible you have RA along w/ Sjogren's.  You can have the antiphospholipd antibody and not have lupus.  But you definitely have something autoimmune going on.  It's a shame your rhemy was so insensitive.  
Thank you so much for the information.  I definately have #1, 3, 4, and 10 ( my ANA was positive not the anti-DNA.)  So- that is four-  Also- my neurologist seems to think I have arthritis but noone has done an x-ray to prove that. The problem was at the time of my appointment I didn't have the oral ulcers.  The malar rash he could see and I had pictures of the rash from the sun.  And of course I haven't talked to him since my lab results came back.  I have another appointment in July.  He just sent a cover sheet with my lab results that said, "blood testing showed no signs of lupus".  So- I guess I will go to my July appointment armed with the research I have done and see what his response is. Thanks again for the info.  It has been very helpful!
So many of the symptoms come and go and you don't necessarily have to have all of them when you see you dr.  Be sure and write down ALL of the symptoms you have been having when you see the rhematologist.  Give a "copy" of them to you dr.  Also be sure and ask your dr. what you will need to do in order to get copies of ALL the test that will be ran.  (Ask the nurse too)  Sometimes they want you to sign a release, sometimes the dr. will just make a note on your chart.  You probably already know this, but keep a folder at home of all this information.  

Print out a calendar off you computer and write down a daily log of your symptoms.  And take that to the drs. office too.  

Don't be surprised if your dr. wants to see your ANA higher than 160.  SPEND TIME IN THE SUN PRIOR TO YOU GOING INTO THE DR. OFFICE.  Otherwise, you will be running in a frustrated ciricle for like 10 years. w/o any help...feeling like a nut case!
Ma'am. Here my story. I can't go in sun at all. I have blstered and rashed for years. I had cronic (chronic) pain that has led me not able to work at all. Memory loss is bad comfuston. Depressin mood swings. Swellin of joints to where boiln water or any pan med creams won't atemp to calm the pain. Nau and valment all time. I lost the hair on the rite side of my head. Almost died three times from illness un know why. I had endingup getn staph infetion on my head so bad the infecton was gana kll my heart in heart failur. Then the urain was clowdy smelt lke I was don the other bizz. It was offel. My back has twisted into a c formand tell bone pokes my cheek.I can not work lift anything stand to long lay. To long st to long. And years and year of gon to doc. They made me to b crazy. But I made it thro the hard days. So 2010 posstve ana. And last week possitive ana with a ifa,ana pattern an titers. Homogeneous anyways I'm stll lost on what all what but that two test in two year tme. Ths level was 1.40. Verafy by repet tesing. They sending me to uams now. I had thses small prob for 10 years but now I'm near death. With no real answers. Other testin was hy like plt 506.0, plt 19.5 low sodiam 133 low mcv,hct,hgb. If anyone can help me iim began.I was dealin with it up tell july of 2011 from then I almost pased away. I can't remember how to read spell or even simple task. Lost haft of my hair. Lost 15 pounds.I could bath myself ,use potty, feed myself, I developed a smell and for real I thout at any. Moment I was dead. Boils size of half dollars all over my head ( which keep in mind I have scars all over my head from 13 facual pastic surdys.) And boils all over my butt legs that left scaring bad. Then liittle sore like worse then pmple but not as bad. On my pace lke crators on cheeks. Forhead chin and noise. My har is startn gro back. But I done got into a deprestion I lock myself n house for months now. But I'm not realy depressed. It more like I can't controle my thouts and anger and tiimper. They put me on prozac wich help but didn't touch the problem is some ways. Insama I sttayed up week not on no drugs from worrng and streein. I was so lost in the world. But now my health coming back around but I have all this damage to my mind and body. What do y'all think. And one last thng. Now I relize it could b serous and with my skin deases and this prob created acut (acute) g somthin. Don't remember the word. But I'm all alone with no help but from god. No famly devorce so its me near death tryn to raise to kids
Also forgot lose of funton in hands at times, twiches I can't stop. Eye lids. An toes.  And eyes swelled up but my rte ear swelled so bad it damaged my hearing. Makn a bm is inpossible. And sex drve is gone. I'm only 26 and now if I think back I had symtoms (symptoms) sence. Was baby. Please help me. I did all ths dealing wth a skn des called giant hary nevas that cover my body and a car wreck in 2001 that left me cripled. So 5 I was pose die from skin deses at 15 car wreck ;and 25 almost died three times in a month.