Lupus Community
Needing Some Support

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Needing Some Support

This isn't necessarily a question of any type but more so just in need of some support. This is the first time I have written anywhere on forums. I am a 24yr old female that has been going through numerous tests for over 2mnths now. I have had a MRI of my brain and C-spine to search for Multiple Sclerosis lesions. We have not yet found any. I have a appt for a 3tesla MRI nest week as well as an EMG. I have been having tingling more so on the left extremities and tender bottoms of the feet. My Nuero ordered some lab work of which a positive ANA has came back. I know that ANA's can be false-positives and that you can not really count on that test alone. But with that being said, lupus is now in the questioning process I believe, seeing that this is a MS community I am sure that you are all aware of the anxiety, stress, and emotions that can happen with the testing of a disease. I have a supporting medical team behind me and a family as well. At the same time I feel so extremely overwhelmed and along. I have always been more of the pessimistic type and worrier. I am trying my hardest to stay positive but I feel myself slowing succumbing to my fears. At this point I have accepted that there is something wrong due to the nerve damage that I believe that I am starting to get. The positive ANA was hard but also a relief. Hoping that it may be a step in the direction to a diagnosis.

I recently graduated from college in Dec. and wanted to go on with grad, school.  I have a boyfriend that I have been dating for almost 2yrs now and he graduates in May. He is searching for jobs and excited about the future (as he should). I can't help but feel that I am held back from the "unknown" at this point and don't want to hold him back or become anyone's burden. I have always been extremely healthy and been active. I havn't ran in months due to my symptoms which has always been my go to stress reliever. I have friends getting married and starting their wonderful lives and I feel like I'm in quick sand slowly sinking and  watching everyone break free and move forward. I do not have insurance but am luck enough to be of Indian decent for which I receive medical treatment from. If this is indeed a disease that I will be living with I will have to remain in certain regions to obtain the healthcare of which I feel very very lucky to have. At the same time though my boyfriend and friends are all leaving. I do not mean for this to come off as a pity party for I know their are far worse things then either one of those diagnoses. I am just looking for some support and uplifting words form people who have been through this.
Hi, I saw your post on the MS site too.

I am also seeking answers. I got my lab results today and while I don't have a specific ANA titer, it does say I am positive with an atypical speckled pattern. My follow up with my neurologist is tomorrow. So, I guess we'll go overmy t-sspine MRI and labs. Frankly, I'm not expecting much.

I do understand what you're going through. I hope this post finds you well.

All the best, Hugs, Minnie
Statistically speaking the incidence of positive ANA (in percent) per conditon is:
•Systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus or SLE) - over 95%
•Progressive systemic sclerosis (scleroderma) - 60-90%
•Rheumatoid Arthritis - 25-30%
•Sjogren's syndrome - 40-70%
•Felty's syndrome - 100%
•Juvenile arthritis - 15-30%

Certain medications, such as hydralazine, isoniazid, procainamide, and some anticonvulsant medications increase the chances of having a positive ANA test.  Also the biologic medications like Remicade, Humira, Enbrel can cause false positive results.

What was your ANA level and pattern?
My ANA was 1:160 Speckled. Not sure how bad that is?
1:160 is considered low, but not necessarily insignificant.  The speckled pattern is seen in Sjogren's, SLE and Scleroderma.  

I know you are going through some changes in your life and I want to encourage you to focus on not allowing yourself to get stressed out.  The reason I'm cautioning you on this issue is because stress can actually cause illnesses.  Be on guard.  Life is too short to get stressed out over temporary things.  I know.... I believe it brought to surface lupus and fibromyalgia in my own life.  

Prayers and hugs.