Lupus Community
Planquil

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Planquil

Dr unsure if I have sjorgens. Ra and or sle.  I seem to be sampling the ai buffet and have a few symptoms of everything.
However he has prescribed hydroxychloquine.
My family members all have various concerns regarding side effects.  Yes I've researched.
But what side effects have people here had?
Hi!
As you have already researched the side effects, I’ll not dwell on them. However, hydroxychloquine is used to treat signs and symptoms of lupus or RA in cases where other therapies are not helpful. Also, it is important to push your doctor for a definitive diagnosis through ANA staining and presence of antibodies specific to lupus such as dsDNA, anti-SM (Smith), and Anti-Ro. While RA can be diagnosed based on symptoms and high ANA and RA factor, lupus diagnosis cannot be based totally on symptoms. To confirm Sjogren's Syndrome, you need to undergo two main tests:  anti-nuclear antibody (ANA) and rheumatoid factor, the latter because it is possible to get SS secondary to rheumatoid arthritis. Typical ANA patterns in SS are positive SSA/Ro and SSB/La. SSB/La is more specific for SS while SSA/Ro can be present in numerous other autoimmune conditions. Apart from these tests, Schirmer's test to measure the production of tears, and a slit-lamp examination to look for eye dryness should be done by an eye specialist.
Please try and get a confirmed diagnosis for better management of your symptoms. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
When I first went on Plaquinel, I had some diarhhea.  I already had diarhhea because of irritable bowel, so the plaquinel just stepped it up a notch.  But because this was something I was already dealing with, it wasn't a big deal to me.  This lasted a few months, then I was back to the way it was before.  I started seeing some symptoms subside around the 2nd month.  It took a year to a year and a half to see the full impact of plaquinel benefit.  I do get my eyes checked every 6 months and have educated myself on what to watch for as far as retinal detachment.  That only occurs in about 1% of people that are on plaquinel.