Lupus Community
Plaquenil and loss of appetite

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Plaquenil and loss of appetite

Has anyone else here experienced weight loss with Plaquenil? I am currently taking 200mg one time a day and my appetite has seriously decreased in the last two weeks.  I lost 15 lbs in the last two weeks also.  Just curious if anyone else had this as a side effect.

Hi!
Yes, Plaquenil causes both weight loss and loss of appetite. Hence, if the loss of appetite and weight loss started after you started on this drug, then yes, it could be due to Plaquenil. However, if you had loss of appetite and weight loss before your started this drug, then the drug can aggravate the process. In this case, the cause of loss f appetite and weight loss has to be found. Please discuss with your treating doctor.
Take care!
Thank you.  I was not losing weight or have a lack of appetite prior to Plaquenil so it must be the medicine.  At my last visit my Dr asked me if it had deminished my appetite so she is aware of it and the amount of weight I lost and is not concerned at this moment.  I needed to lose some weight anyway.
I know diarhea (diarrhea) is a common side affect of plaquinel.   But I agree w/ Dr. Mathur, this needs to be investigated.  I personally had terrible nausea for almost 2 years when I was put on plaquinel, the nausea was the first symptom to leave....causing me to gain weight.  It wasn't that I was eating a lot, it was just that I was actually eating.  

I'm assuming you are eating well.  
Yes I eat regularly and healthy.  I just find Im not as hungry as I was before, or that my appetite has changed.  I was on Prednisone for two months prior to Plaquenil and gained 18 lbs, so I needed to lose the weight anyway.  I was just curious if the medication was what caused my appetite to change or what.  I remind myself to eat at regular intervals because my sugar drops pretty rapidly if I do not eat something, but I noticed I do not find a need to snack, or even really think about food unless its time to cook for my boyfirend or its time to take my Plaquenil because I have already learned I MUST take it with food or it messes up my stomach, but I have not had that side effect to bad.