Pleurisy
So, when should I consider the pleurisy a PROBLEM and go to the doc?  Because I just had my doc appt with my rheumy and her answer was "Give the Plaquenil a chance, it's just takes a few months to get in your system"  So, while I wait these few months, and I am coughing and hurting and breathing funny, what do I do?  It seems like I have to go back to square one (my general doc) get a referral to another doc (cardiologist/pulmonary) and go from there, because the rheumy doesn't see it as a big deal, while I am close to going to the ER, and I have made a promise to myself that I WOULD NEVER go to the ER unless I was unconscious and someone else had to bring me.  Long story, but ERs are not my favorite places.  What would you do if it were you?
Hi!
While pleurisy can be related to lupus, it can occur due to several other causes including tuberculosis, pneumonia (probably ruled out as there is no high fever and chills) rheumatoid arthritis, chest trauma, cancer, and asbestosis. You need to undergo tests to rule out these causes including RA factor, ANA, chest CT, Montoux test, ELISA for TB etc. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!