Positive ANA
If a person has a positive ANA (MD is thinking possible Lupus) is the ANA always going to be positive or will it only go up during a flare? Is Lupus hereditary?
That is a good question,  I have had 2 docs diagnose Lupus.  Now my ANA is negative and new GP is questioning original diagnoses.  I am still having a lot of days where I feel awful, must just be my imagination.  I take Plaquinel so does that keep numbers down?  Can you have sore legs and shoulders and not have inflamation show in lab work?
Thanks for responding, but I too am not sure either?
No the ANA will not always be positive.  And a positive test does not indicate you don't have lupus.  The ANA can flucuate and according to the LUpus Foundation, it is NOT an indicator of disease activity.  You can be in the middle of a flare and have a neg. ANA.

I had an extremely high ANA 1:2560, and was having a good day.  I had been in the sun prior to that test and paid for that in the days to come.  I have also heard that medicine can cause the ANA to become lower or even negative.  A knowledgable dr. will know all of this.  (Rhematologist - hopefully).  

There are 11 criteria for a Lupus dx.  You need 4 out of the 11 to receive a lupus dx.  One of the 11 is a positive ANA.  And the higher the number, the more likely there is something autoimmune going on.
karajo is correct. The ANA can fluctuate throughout someone's disease. A lot of times, if you are taking your medication, it can cause the ANA to be negative. It just means the meds you are taking is working. The ANA does not indicate disease activity and I wish these doctors will start doing their homework and know this for goodness sakes.
Thanks for the comments! So how do they diagnosis it? Just by symptoms or is there a specific test?
Here is the story (will try to keep it short)! My sister is the one who had the positive ANA and she also had high Monocytes, everything else was normal. Anyhow, they (rheum and PCG) were thinking Lupus, but now sending her to a hematologist because of the Monocytes (they have been high for over a year, but WBCs are normal). She has always had backpain do to herniated discs. The odd part is she just started showing symptoms about 2 weeks ago, the same symptoms I have had since Dec. Achy shoulders, hands, neck, wrist, fingers, elbows knees, etc, but everything is always bilateral. Almost entire body, pain ranges from moderate-severe at times, but never 100% painfree. Tingling, pins and needles, numbness to hands at times.  Exhausted, muscles ache almost feel like a wet noodle. feel like I ran a marathon and all I did was climb up the basement steps!! I got tested from a different Rheum and was told it was Fibro.  I feel it is very weird that both my sister and I are now showing the exact same symptoms. Her rheum. told her people (MD) are way to quick to jump to Fibro dx and will explore on. Any ideas what this could be or suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Be sure that your differential diagnosis includes Lyme Disease.  It is known to mimic Lupus and Fibro among other things, and often occurs in multiple family members because of common exposure.  WI is a hotspot for Lyme.  Ask for a Western Blot test.
I did have a lymes test Lyme Ab Screen (Late >1 month), it was when I first started having symptoms, but came back negative. Is that the same as a Western Blot? She also had a Lymes that came back negative?
The Ab is just a screening test. The official 2 tier testing process says to only run the Western Blot if the screening test is positive.  But doctors who treat a lot of Lyme say that way too many people with Lyme test negative on the screening test.  Ask your doc for the Western Blot, and be sure to get a copy of the results.  You want to see the bands in the result because some people show evidence of infection in bands that the CDC ignores.  The CDC criteria was developed for surveillance (watching trends), but unfortunately for some patients, it became the diagnostic requirement.  

Feel free to come post on the Lyme forum.