Lupus Community
Possible Lupus?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Possible Lupus?

Hello there :)

Sorry in advance for the long post, but please help me if you can. Do I sound like a Lupus sufferer, I know it is impossible to diagnose me over the internet and I know that I should see my Dr which I will, but I would like to discuss the likelihood that after 6 or so years of feeling terrible and being ill I may have actually stumbled upon the answer.

So yes, roughly 6 years of feeling like carp, I started by seeing my GP of course, then from him to a neurologist, to an ENT, to a gastroenterologist, to a private Dr and more recently back to my GP, so bit of a loop. Some of the Dr’s I seen on my travels did think that my troubles/symptoms could be related.

The list includes :

Daily Migraine, and all sorts of weird and wonderful headaches (Pressure, stabbing etc etc)
Stomach pain (gastroenterologist found inflammation of the oesophagus when he put the cam down)
Sinusitis (ENT Found inflammation of the sinuses, I even had a sinus op during the 6 years which didn’t help a bit, I have constant sinus pain/pressure)
Eye’s (Pain behind eyes daily, possibly sinus related)
Gums (Constant gum inflammation, normally clears with an antibiotic but always returns)
Other oral problems include mouth ulcers, if I ever break the skin in my mouth, like bump it of my toothbrush it will turn to a sore/ulcer)
Anxiety/Depression (I recently started Zoloft from my GP, unfortunately I am currently battling the side effects)
Memory etc (Terrible short term memory and what I like to call brain fog, I know this can be caused by anxiety)

I think that feeling ill for so long has definitely had a big impact on the depression, I have a lot of good things going on in my life and I should be happy, I feel that something in dragging me down though.

One thing that I haven’t mentioned yet and that has developed recently (Last few months) is a butterfly rash across my cheeks/nose, it kind of comes and goes, but after some googling I see that it is quite common with lupus, so anyway when I showed it to my mum she said “Did you not know Lupus runs in the family”? Like no

So should I just ask my Dr to test me or how should I approach him? I am 29 male and have also read that Lupus is less common in males, it runs in my mothers side of the family.

I should also point out that I have had many different blood tests over the 6 years and apart from slightly high cholesterol I wasn’t told that anything was abnormal.

I feel sometimes that I am losing my head, and that this is all the result of anxiety, I just don’t know.

Thanks for your time
I think you definitely should let the doctor know about the lupus connection in the family.  It might very well be your problem.  I also saw a special on TV a few years ago about the connection between lupus and gluten (a protein found in wheat, barley, rye and possibly oats).  If you follow a gluten free diet, maybe your symptoms will subside or maybe they won't.  But it's worth a try to see if you are one of the people helped by this diet.  Check it out on the internet and if you decide to give it a try - you must be 100% gluten free and take a gluten free multivitamin (NatureMade brand is gluten free).  Hope this helps and I hope you find some help.  Good luck!
Hereditary does play a role in Lupus, but does not mean it is or is not what is wrong.  The GP should be willing to do the basics of CBC, CMP, ANA, ESR, RA labs for Rheum. work up.  There are a lot more labs, but those will get you started. My advise is to demand a copy of your records as you go along to the many doctors.  You are your best advocate. Good luck and remember, you are not alone. You are not crazy.  You will find the answer.  One day at a time.  Be good to yourself by taking care of yourself.  
The one main symptom of lupus is joint pain.  If you mentioned it, I must have overlooked it.  Almost 100% of lupus patients have joint pain.  
So true. I hurt in places that I don't know I am hurting until someone touches me.
Lupus is an autoimmune disease that can affect various parts of the body, including the skin, joints, heart, lungs, blood, kidneys and brain. Inflammation, considered the primary feature of lupus, is characterized by pain, heat, redness, swelling and loss of function. In most people, the disease affects only a few organs and symptoms are mild, but in others, the disease can cause serious and even life-threatening problems