Lupus Community
Possible lupus or autoimmune disease?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Possible lupus or autoimmune disease?

In July 2012, I developed chronic facial flushing after receiving two corticosteroid injections in my foot for plantar fasciitis within a 30 day span,and after being prescribed a medrol dosepack for a week during that time. The flushing continues everyday and is often accompanied by a tingling sensation in my tongue and frequent headaches upon awakening. My blood pressure is normal, and I exercise everyday. I have historically had a low white blood count (3.4) for many years without incidents. Other than a low WBC, my other blood tests (thyroid, free and total testosterone, cholesterol, and  ANA) are normal. My primary care physician doesn't have an idea what these symptoms mean. I am not sure how to proceed... see an allergist,endocrinologist, or a rheumotologist? Thank you for any advice
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi!
If you are a lady in menopausal age group, then it could be due to hormone imbalance. You would need to consult your gynecologist regarding this. Hormone replacement therapy usually helps. Alcohol, certain drugs (causes flushing while in use), allergy to food additives, heat intolerance, hot beverages and food, anxiety, orthostatic hypotension, certain endocrine disorders like hyperthyroidism, those involving the adrenals, diabetes etc all cause facial flushing. If there is a flush only during the day and after sports then it could be heat sensitivity. Apply cold compress on and off during the day. Splash a lot of cold water (not freezing cold but cool) on face on and off. See if this helps.
It would be best to consult your family doctor to start with. Take care!
Blank
Thank you for your prompt and clear response. I'm a male age 60. I have consulted with my family doctor, who doesn't understand why the flushing is chronic. I keep a diary of possible food triggers and other possible environmental triggers, but cannot find a pattern. Even though my recent testosterone and thyroid tests were all within the reference values,I have scheduled an appointment with a rheumotologist. I welcome any other suggestions or recommendations.
Blank
Hello, my name is Peter. I'm a 55yo male. In Jan. 2012 I had a, one and only, cordical steroid injection to treat pain from a heriated disc in my neck. I had it done by Dr. Cardinale in Merrick, NY. (Orlin & Cowin)
Two weeks later my face became constantly flushed and broke out in a terrible oily, acne like rash which cause my skin to become scaly and puffy.

I have seen a dermatolgist who prescribe a steroid cream which did not help. My GP prescribed Doxcycine Hyclate (antibiotic) which helped treat the acne simptoms but did not help the constant facial flushing. I stopped the course of antibiotics 2 weeks ago and the acne has come back a little.

I also saw a rumatologist who tested me for lupus, but all tests were negative.

The chronic facial flushing is affecting my life very negatively. It feels like my face is on fire. I sit outside in cold regularly just to try and cool off my face. I can't sleep and am extremely irritable and depressed with thoughts of suicide.

At this point I'm at a loss where to turn next.

Blank
I have no idea what's going on but can I suggest having your vitamin levels checked out. Take a good multi vitamin, Benadryl, drink lots if water.  I am praying you find an answer soon.  I to have been ill and I know how difficult it can be.  What ever you do try not to get stressed out. This can contribute to worsening your condition. Stress is a beast. Keep positive thoughts and know you will soon get some answers.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Lupus Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...