Aa
A
A
Close
Pre-Lupus
I have just been diagnosed with Pre-Lupus. Could you please tell me what I can expect in regards to symptoms. I am already experiencing pain in my joints, hot and cold flashes and fatigue. Often however I will get bouts of Insomnia. I was told by my rhumatologist today that I can not be out in the sun and that I have to protect myself from temperatures below 45 degrees.I was prescribed a medication called Hydroxchloroquine. Could you please tell me how long this drug will take to help improve my symptoms. Will there be any way for me to live a productive life with this? I feel as though I should apply for disability... would this be your reccomendation because I feel as though I would not be able to hold a job especially due to the fact that I never know how I will be feeling the following morning.
  Anything that you can tell me in regards to this diagnosis and what I can expect in my future would be greatly appreciated. Thank You so much.
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
434278 tn?1324709825
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I hope to answer some of your questions.  I can only say what my experience with hydroxychloriquine is.  I started feeling somewhat better 2-3 weeks after starting the medicine.  Nausea was the first symptom that improved.  Each month I felt better and better.  Actually I was amazed at the progress I was making because I was exactly where you were....feeling like my life would NEVER resemble what it was.  But now I rarely have a bad day(s), and they don't last for weeks like they used to.  I can split firewood, rake the yard, till the garden.  I'd say that's pretty good for any woman, especially for one who has lupus and fibromyalgia.  

Some pointers for getting better:
stay out of the sun (best as you can)
stay away from stress (best as you can)
cut back on sugar
get plenty of rest - sleep is majorly important
laugh often - on purpose
having a possitive attitude goes a long way
I think drawing close to God is valuable too

I try to stay warm too.  Sometimes I have a "cold flash" and I will run a hot bath and soak to warm my body up.  Getting cold does seem to trigger a stress factor - which can trigger a flare.  

I take something to help me sleep.  I also got a memory foam topper from Sam's.  They are denser than the ones at Wal-Mart.  The only thing I take for pain is tylenol and ibuprophen (together).  It either takes the pain away or smoothes the edge off.  

I don't know what to tell you about your job, because I remember thinking if I had a job there was no way I could maintain it.  But I now think I would be able to.  I'm thankful that I am a stay at home mom and was able to rest and allow my body to heal.  

Praying God's best for you.
Comment
Cancel
434278 tn?1324709825
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Lupus Community Resources