Lupus Community
Pre-Lupus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Pre-Lupus

I have just been diagnosed with Pre-Lupus. Could you please tell me what I can expect in regards to symptoms. I am already experiencing pain in my joints, hot and cold flashes and fatigue. Often however I will get bouts of Insomnia. I was told by my rhumatologist today that I can not be out in the sun and that I have to protect myself from temperatures below 45 degrees.I was prescribed a medication called Hydroxchloroquine. Could you please tell me how long this drug will take to help improve my symptoms. Will there be any way for me to live a productive life with this? I feel as though I should apply for disability... would this be your reccomendation because I feel as though I would not be able to hold a job especially due to the fact that I never know how I will be feeling the following morning.
  Anything that you can tell me in regards to this diagnosis and what I can expect in my future would be greatly appreciated. Thank You so much.
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I hope to answer some of your questions.  I can only say what my experience with hydroxychloriquine is.  I started feeling somewhat better 2-3 weeks after starting the medicine.  Nausea was the first symptom that improved.  Each month I felt better and better.  Actually I was amazed at the progress I was making because I was exactly where you were....feeling like my life would NEVER resemble what it was.  But now I rarely have a bad day(s), and they don't last for weeks like they used to.  I can split firewood, rake the yard, till the garden.  I'd say that's pretty good for any woman, especially for one who has lupus and fibromyalgia.  

Some pointers for getting better:
stay out of the sun (best as you can)
stay away from stress (best as you can)
cut back on sugar
get plenty of rest - sleep is majorly important
laugh often - on purpose
having a possitive attitude goes a long way
I think drawing close to God is valuable too

I try to stay warm too.  Sometimes I have a "cold flash" and I will run a hot bath and soak to warm my body up.  Getting cold does seem to trigger a stress factor - which can trigger a flare.  

I take something to help me sleep.  I also got a memory foam topper from Sam's.  They are denser than the ones at Wal-Mart.  The only thing I take for pain is tylenol and ibuprophen (together).  It either takes the pain away or smoothes the edge off.  

I don't know what to tell you about your job, because I remember thinking if I had a job there was no way I could maintain it.  But I now think I would be able to.  I'm thankful that I am a stay at home mom and was able to rest and allow my body to heal.  

Praying God's best for you.