Lupus Community
Purple Toes?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Purple Toes?

Hi guys, I am new to this community so this is my first post. I was recently diagnosed with lupus about a month or 2 ago. I have a pretty mild case, just some joint pain, hair loss etc, but the weirdest symptom I have been getting is purple toes. It is very strange, but my toes seem to be extremely sensitive to changes in temperature. For example, when I take a shower, my toes seem to be burning from the hot water even though the rest of my body is fine with the temperature. I have heard of Raynaud's syndrome, but I was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing something similar (especially the sensitivity to temperatures) and if there are any treatments?
Hi and welcome to MedHelp.

Yes, yes, yes, I definitely have trouble in this area.  Don't know what medicine you are taking, but I'm on Plaquinel and it has helped in that area.  I still get very cold easily and my fingers and toes still turn white.  They just haven't turned purple lately.  We are having a really cold winter.  Colder than usual.and I'm happy they are not turning purple along w/ the burning and tingling.

Glad to have you join us.  We'd love to get to know you better.
Kara
Yes. Most definitely. I have Raynauds and that is a perfect description. I'm so used to my toes/fingers being cold that I don't even realize HOW cold they are until I put them in hot water, then they burn and turn bright red. It's annoying but harmless. One of the many things we have to get used to.
It is pretty annoying :(, hopefully I get used to it soon. I am on Plaquenil now & maybe it will help with this.
Don't get your hopes up. Plaquenil doesn't help mine but I have gotten used to it. At least it's not painful. Just weird feeling.