Lupus Community
Raynaud's and Positive Speckled ANA

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Raynaud's and Positive Speckled ANA

I had some major hair loss last year, so my doctor ran an ANA.  I believe it came back positive, speckled 1:80.  My doctor wasn't at all concerned with it.  I was referred to a dermatologist who told me that the hair loss was due to the fact that I had been dieting.  The test they ran for inflammation was on the high end of normal, but my pharmacist, said my level may have been lower, due to the fact that I religiously take omega 3.

I have had problems with the cold for many years, but started having true Raynaud's "attacks" about a year ago and was diagnosed in October.

My hair loss problem has pretty much tapered off, but when that got better, I started having issues with my finger nails, they are in terrible shape, constantly crumbling.  I got acrylic nails, but even they my nails are so weak underneath, that I even have issues with the fake nails.  The area around my cuticles is red (like I've had my hands in dish water a lot).  My dermatologist had a name for it, but I don't remember what.  I got a toenail fungus (ugh!)  last summer, that I can't seem to get rid of.

I have dry eyes, dry mouth (never leave the house without a beverage), depression, fatigue, and chronic constipation, (which keeps getting worse).  I started having problems with my hands cramping up, so bad it was hard to hold the steering wheel on my way home from work, but that has been very well contolled since I started taking glucosamine chondroitin in early 2008.  I had surgery for endometriosis and I haven't had any issues with it since then.

I take glucosamine chondroitin, a good multi-vtamin, calcium/vit D, vitamin E, Biotin (prescribed by Dermatologist), verapimil (for Raynaud's), generic Wellbutrin(for depression), Omega 3.

My doctor re-checked my ANA, after I told her about my other symptoms and it was better (I can't remember if it went from 1:120 to 1:80 or vice versa- whatever is better), so she said I didn't need any other tests.

Since I started taking the multi-vitamin several years ago, I almost never get colds or infections (other than the toenail issue).

I would like to see a rheumatologist, but they won't see me without a referral from my PCP.  I wanted to see if anyone with similar symptoms had been diagnosed with anything?

Dry eyes and dry mouth often are seen in patients who have fibromyalgia, CFS, lyme disease and diabetes.

Your ANA titer is on the lower side, but it still is positive. I would discuss these other possible conditions with your physician.

If you can, keep me posted !

Oh... and a dry mouth and dry eyes are often seen in Sjogren's Syndrome as well. (D'Oh)
Thanks so much for responding.  I do have a family history of Type II DM.  I was "pre-diabetic" but my blood sugars have been normal since I lost weight.  I don't have any major pains, unless I stay in one position for too long (but I think that comes with age)- so I doubt it is fibromyalgia.  I really didn't know much about CFS.  I just looked it up and it saw the info regarding impaired focus/memory.  I have been having a lot of issues with that. I have never been an outdoorsy person, so lyme is pretty unlikely.  Sjogren's is also something to look at.

I'll let you know if I figure anything out!

Good luck ! I hope that you will keep us posted.
PG is right.  Your ANA is on the lower side but it wouldn't hurt to see Rheumy if you can just to have peace of mind.  Anti-depressants can also cause dry mouth and dry eyes.  
Good luck.
Joni
I think you need to get another doc if the one you are seeing won't give you a referral.  You might trying telling them that is what you want to do instead of asking.  I find that usually works better .... for me anyway.  Good Luck!
My ANA titer is 1:640 and speckled. I do have raynaud's, and frequently experience joint pain in various joints. Last year I did have an unexplained rash that may relate to lupus, it wasnt on my face though, it was on my arms. After two years of the same ANA, we have yet to figure out if anything is going on..I have another appointment with my rheumatologist in June.

Does anyone know if raynaud's can cause such a high ANA?