Lupus Community
Reactions to Indoor Tanning Make Me Wonder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Hi, everyone,

I really don't think I have lupus, but my recent reactions to indoor tanning have made me wonder about this (since LUPUS is the only disease contraindicated for indoor tanning).  I recently started trying to get more vitamin D in this manner and have found that every single time, I later have a reaction of greatly increased weakness, fatigue, and increased leg cramping resulting from the indoor tanning, lasting for usually about 3 days.  Even when I'm inside the tanning bed I have strange sensations- most recently of my right arm feeling numbish (I was lying on my back with no pressure on the arm). Also, felt some tingling in skin and other parts of body.  I have also had numbness of my fingers and arms periodically that comes and goes at night when I sleep.  The last few times I have tanned, I have later noticed pain in my femur/hip joint something that years ago appeared and was so bad I couldn't walk on that leg.  Then it disappeared as mysteriously as it came.  My doc never could figure out what  caused it.  I never thought it could be lupus because I never had a rash (though have had hives pretty bad).  Also, I usually have no muscle or joint pain - but then I remembered that years ago after pregnancy, I developed excruciating joint, muscle, and bone pain causing me to have to switch to a water bed.  Now I must sleep on an air mattress - or else the pain returns!!  What upsets me is that they say, tell your doctor and he will use a multifaceted approach to diagnosis:  Bull!!  My MDs only looked at my ANA - which was negative. My mom had RA bad.  One of my lab tests indicates I may have autoimmune disease - but can't get diagnosed.  RA ruled out.  MS not showing up on MRI etc. I think my lupus anticoagulant was negative on a thrombophilia workup.

My only lead pulling me toward lupus now is the way I always react to sunlight and indoor tanning:  Bad.  Usually I just stay indoors all summer and wear a cooling vest if I have to go out.  Going out in the heat has caused me stroke-like symptoms and a trip to the ER (where ruled out for stroke).

Have any of you had a skin biopsy to check for autoimmune disease?  I just read about that on the couldIhavelupus.gov website?  I've been spinning my wheels for years, thinking it might be other conditions:  Do you think it could be lupus?  And if so, what tests besides ANA should I have (no kidney biopsy, thank you).  Please shed some light on my tanning bed reactions.  Thanks!

WAF  
I forgot to mention:  I only tan for 6 minutes at a time once or twice a week.  That's all I can stand.  And it's UVB and UVA rays.

WAF
Are you familar w/ the 11 criteria for lupus.  I see in your post you don't have joint pain.  That is usually the #1 complaint in lupus 95% say they have screeming joint pain.  There is something called "allergic to the sun".  The medical term is called photosensitivity.  Have you googled that to see what all could cause that.  You could also go to the symptom checker here on medhelp and type in photosensitive, fatigue along w/ any other symptoms to see what they say.

In my opinion, I don't think you have lupus if you are not having joint pain.

Keep us posted.
Thanks for your insights.  I have had unexplained screaming joint pain in the past and I would still have my joint pain if I were to sleep on a regular mattress.  But because I sleep on an air mattress that is also very, very well padded, my joint pain went away.  So from your post I deduce that my very soft sleep setup would not have eliminated my joint pain if it were lupus, right?

Are the 11 criteria for lupus listed on this website?

Thanks for your suggestions.

WAF
I just sent the 11 criteria in my last post.  Yes, I have so much info I really need to find time to put them somewhere in this forum.  I seem to run from one thing to another.  Very little free time.

Yes, I would say if you had lupus, your joints would hurt most all the time regardless of your wonderful mattress.  Also, you would be very fatigued.  I gather that is your main symptom from you nic.