Lupus Community
Reactions to Indoor Tanning Make Me Wonder
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Reactions to Indoor Tanning Make Me Wonder

Hi, everyone,

I really don't think I have lupus, but my recent reactions to indoor tanning have made me wonder about this (since LUPUS is the only disease contraindicated for indoor tanning).  I recently started trying to get more vitamin D in this manner and have found that every single time, I later have a reaction of greatly increased weakness, fatigue, and increased leg cramping resulting from the indoor tanning, lasting for usually about 3 days.  Even when I'm inside the tanning bed I have strange sensations- most recently of my right arm feeling numbish (I was lying on my back with no pressure on the arm). Also, felt some tingling in skin and other parts of body.  I have also had numbness of my fingers and arms periodically that comes and goes at night when I sleep.  The last few times I have tanned, I have later noticed pain in my femur/hip joint something that years ago appeared and was so bad I couldn't walk on that leg.  Then it disappeared as mysteriously as it came.  My doc never could figure out what  caused it.  I never thought it could be lupus because I never had a rash (though have had hives pretty bad).  Also, I usually have no muscle or joint pain - but then I remembered that years ago after pregnancy, I developed excruciating joint, muscle, and bone pain causing me to have to switch to a water bed.  Now I must sleep on an air mattress - or else the pain returns!!  What upsets me is that they say, tell your doctor and he will use a multifaceted approach to diagnosis:  Bull!!  My MDs only looked at my ANA - which was negative. My mom had RA bad.  One of my lab tests indicates I may have autoimmune disease - but can't get diagnosed.  RA ruled out.  MS not showing up on MRI etc. I think my lupus anticoagulant was negative on a thrombophilia workup.

My only lead pulling me toward lupus now is the way I always react to sunlight and indoor tanning:  Bad.  Usually I just stay indoors all summer and wear a cooling vest if I have to go out.  Going out in the heat has caused me stroke-like symptoms and a trip to the ER (where ruled out for stroke).

Have any of you had a skin biopsy to check for autoimmune disease?  I just read about that on the couldIhavelupus.gov website?  I've been spinning my wheels for years, thinking it might be other conditions:  Do you think it could be lupus?  And if so, what tests besides ANA should I have (no kidney biopsy, thank you).  Please shed some light on my tanning bed reactions.  Thanks!

WAF