Lupus Community
SLE AND ALS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

SLE AND ALS

I was diagnosed with SLE 17 years ago, age 45 and have experienced near constant muscle spasms on and off but mostly constant the last couple of years (not painful but very disconcerting) that go up and down mostly my left side, including my trunk, terrible weakness in my back muscles and some noticeable feelings that I am not able to breathe as well as in the past.  I have at times awoke with an escalating panic attack where I feel that my lungs cannot breathe.  I have severly dry eyes and mouth and wonder if that problem also extends to my lungs.  My mucus is very sticky and hard to blow out.  I also have bladder problems and for months at a time have shortness of breath.  I had nerves tested in my arms and shoulders many years ago and was told that I had major nerve problems.  These tests were very painful and the resulting pain lasted for more than a week.  I have a burning sensation in my skin and muscles in my arms and chest and hands and feet and my feet are mostly cold numb and difficult to feel and walk around on.  I am afraid to seek a doctor's help in these things as I don't feel that I was ever helped much at all with 15 years of a few different doctor's help with my SLE.  What advice can you give me?
Hi!
Dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, muscle fatigue, pinched nerve due to wrong posture could be the cause. I would suggest you get the blood levels of the following checked if they have not already been checked: potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium, vitamin B complex, or vitamins B1, B3, or B6 and Vitamin D. Generally deficiencies of any of the above can cause muscle twitching and spasms in localized or generalized areas of the body. Get your kidney function, parathyroid gland function and adrenal function tests done because these affect the electrolyte balance in the body. Stress, alcohol, caffeine and fatigue all cause similar symptoms. Hence if you take alcohol or coffee then cut this down. Sleep at regular hours and see if it helps. Certain sleep disorders and peripheral nerve disorders due to diabetes, Lyme's, lupus or hypothyroidism can also be the cause.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!