Lupus Community
Scalp Sores

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Scalp Sores

For The Past Week I Have Been Having Really Bad Scalp Sores That Itches. I've Tried Washing My Hair, Greasing My Hair But Nothing Works. It's Getting To The Point That From My Head Down To My Neck Hurts & Im Crying In Pain. The Sores Are All Over My Hair. Can Someone Please Help Me & Tell Me If This Is Related To The Lupus Or Fibromyalgia.. I Am An African American, White, Indian & Puerto Rican Women
Hi!
You probably suffer from seborrhagic dermatitis of scalp caused by a fungus residing in the skin called Malassezia furfur. This is treated by lotions, creams or shampoos containing antifungals, anti-inflammatory drugs, something to decrease the sebum or keratolytic agents. The various agents used contain zinc, selenium, ketoconazole and clotrimazole. Keeping the scalp clean is very important. Sometimes Ultraviolet rays and phototherapy also helps. Hope this helps. Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!