Lupus Community
Sore throat - should I be concerned?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Sore throat - should I be concerned?

I was diagnosed with Lupus a few weeks ago.  I've been getting a progressively worse sore throat and today it feels like my throat is swollen and harder to swallow.  Is this something I should be concerned about with Lupus?  
I don't know where you live, but I can say that 90 percent of the people I work with right now have the worst sore throat of their lives.  It's going around.  I had Laringytis for 10 days after the sore throat.  call your rheumatologist and have him/her check to ensure it's a virus or make sure it isn't a medication you're on that is causing it.  I'm on Enbrel so as soon as I got the sore throat my doctor was concerned that it was from the Enbrel.  But, it was just a virus.  And it is gone now.  thank God.  Run your humidifier where ever you are and drink at least 10 glasses of water per day while sick.  
I used to get strep throat at least twice a year.  I had an experiment that I would try to see if it was strep and it"s pretty simple.  Drink a glass of REAL orange juice.  No powder ****.  When you swallow it and if it feels like you are swallowing glass. Go go to the dr's you most likely have strep throat.  this is from my own experience. Every illness is not always due to lupus.  Sometime we just get sick like regular people.  But give it a try and let me know what happens. I am curious as to what is causing these throat problems.  Take care drink lots of fluids (orange juice) and keep me up to date.

Deborah