Lupus Community
Sores in my nose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Sores in my nose

I have been having sores in my nose almost constantly for months now.  They are very  painful. They will last for weeks, then heal for a week or so then they are back.  What's up with that?  Anone else?
I have Sjogrens Syndrome, so I get lots of sores in my nose.  I noticed that if I spend time daily putting a q-tip with Rubbing alcohol in there and rubbing it around daily (new clean tip per nostril), and I DON'T BREATHE AT ALL DURING THE RUB DOWN, I notice I have many less sores in my nose.  Try it and see what happens.  !!!  good luck.
I have sores in my nose and mouth as well.  I started using a saline spray in my nose to keep as much bacteria out as possible, and that seems to help me.  It also helps with dryness. :-)
Thanks, ladies.  I know it sounds trivial, but it is driving me crazy! It's just one more reason to hate getting up in the morning. Any idea what causes them? Sometimes I wish I could just climb in bed and stay there until I find a rheumy with some sense.  Or until hell freezes over, whichever comes first, lol.  How are y'all doing this week?  I hope y'all are feeling as well as is possible.  
i too have sores and have had them for about  5 years or more but i had one of many infections(rhino) this time or strep or whatever and i got on some antibiotic(i wish i could remember which) and all the lesions went away. i had previously been given cortisone to no avail.the thing is i got another strep infection last week and finished the antibiotics i was given and i am left with nose lesions again and this particular antibiotic did not do the trick so i am stuck with this thing again until i find the antib. that worked previously.
so maybe you can get antibiotics for the lesions??
Your nose has staph infection in it!  Always.  the problem is that if we pick it or pull a hair out, we open up the skin so the infection seeps in.  So, that's why I use the rubbing alcohol.  To keep that down to a minimum.  Also, the antibiotics MUST BE taken in their entirety to have the full affect.  If you only take a few, then stop, then start again, you are only making your body immune to them.  The doc should be able to give you the proper antibiotic, but if you don't take them all as directed, UNTIL THE BOTTLE IS GONE, then it won't do you any good!  Noses are full of waste products, and if we keep it clean, and leave our fingers out of it, we'll have better luck.  I'm starting to get sores on the outer bottom edge, and they show real well to the public.    Also, I forgot to mention, I put neosporin OINTMENT in my nose after it dries from the alcohol.  The neosporin has THREE antibiotics in it and works like a charm.  Maybe the ointment isn't good to breathe in all the time, and may be putting oil in your lungs, so maybe it's best to put the neosporin CREAM in instead.  
IT'S PROBABLY THE ANTIBIOTIC CALLED ZITHROMAX!!!  That one should work!
tks. i think that is it! i was an rn so i am familiar with the use and misuse of antibiotics primarily commencing with the medical staff.
i am disgarding so much info probably cause i am so fed up however i do recall zithromax. it has come to my knowledge that a certain antib. that i and my husb. were prescribed is apparantly useless and i fear they(md's) are prescribing some of these useless drugs.
i must have had only 3 or 4 in my life (anti) and now i need it all the time due to the chronic nature of these infections ---and i haven't as yet been dx with lupus ---guess that will be another 3 years considering i have endured it almost 3 now --oh well... such is life... but tks for the info
When I mentioned the sores to the idiot rheumy I have been seeing, he didn't even bother to look at them, He just said "you have herpes" and changed the subject.  The more conversations I have with this bonehead the more convinced I am that he bought his medical license and degree out of the trunk of somebody's car.
I know exactly what you mean.  Sometimes I wish for just one day I could transfer all of my pain, fatigue and frustration to my DR. They would sing a different tune then.  Just keep on pressing them.  Don't give up!
I am trying to get his e-mail address so I can send him the websites that explain CFS leaks, since he does not believe they are physically possible.  He is SUCH a jerk.  An opinionated, self-serving, idiotic old man.  I have been trying to find out whether there have been complaints about him but all the websites I have found require you to pay for the info.  Seems like you should be able to get that info for free.
you can try ratemds.com.here at least you may find other entries from other dissatisfied people as they rate their mds. it is free. i tend to go there if i wish to know what other people feel about a certain physician and chances are he/she has been rated by another person so you have  a feel about this particular md. oftentimes i will avoid a particular md if many many people have panned him/her.
get a new doc
Been a while since I've been here.  So much going on. I have since been diagnosed with Sjogren's and Raynauds and and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  I am starting to see a pretty significant increase in the neuropathies in fingers and toes. I am assuming that is the problem.  It seems to be nerve related, whatever it is.

I have a lot of inflammation from the dryness caused be the Sjogren's, causing me to have a stuffy nose and nose sores. I have all but quit using central heat, as it just dries me beyond belief.  I really hate the dry lips. They get so bad they crack and bleed at the slightest smile.

I have since started seeing the doctors at UTMB.  I have a new rheumatologist (actually a team), an endocrinologist, a neurologist, an opthalmologist, and optometrist and an ENT.  I spend half my life at one doctor's office or another, even when I just go to the regular checkups and  labs.  I feel I am finally being listened to and taken seriously. Crazy former rheumy has since retired, so the rest of the AI's in the area can breathe easier, lol.

You guys pointed me in the direction to research Sjogren's and ask for the tests and you probably saved me years of waiting for a diagnosis.  I learned the questions to ask and that was the key.  Along with finding a good medical team, of course.  Thanks again for the wisdom.
I'm glad you are getting some answers.  My ENT suspects Sjogren's, but I haven't been dx.  

What test did they do to make that dx?

What coarse of treatment are they doing?

Glad to have you back. :)
They did a lip biopsy (which was inconclusive) then they did another test (Anti-Ro?), but the biggest clue turned out to be swollen parotid glands (just in front of your ears).
Thanks Chickie.
what team of doctors are you seeing... what state ? Sure need to see a place work for us.  Its been a long journey
Your drug store would have a record of the antibiotic you took.
You could try a dermatologist that knows something about skin lupus,,,,,, I see one and he did biopsies. I was diagnosed back in 2006 I believe. Can't even remember the year ..... But I do get sores in my nose A LOT. And they are due to my skin lupus. Cutaneous Lupus is rare..... Not like systemic.
Good luck.....
Bleudragonfly