Sudden loss of balance
Usually I have very good balance, but yesterday while pulling waterweeds in our pond I had a very sudden loss of balance. It was very weird. I was not dizzy, I did not have a headache, I was not light-headed, nothing spinned and I was not nauseous. It was like not knowing which was way was up and could only stagger the several feet to the diving platform. After holding on to the stationary platform for a minute or two, I was fine.

I have had vertigo sor several months years ago when my ears were stopped up from a sinus infection...was also almost totally deaf, and for a few weeks another time from rotated cervical vertebra pinching nerves. It was nothing like that. I get light-headed & dizzy if I stand up too fast causing a sudden drop in blood pressure. It was nothing like that. I once drank too much beer too fast, got sick & the whole world was spinning. It was nothing like that. I checked my pulse, since it does skip beats or have extra beats from time to time & it was not irregular.

I worry about driving should I have another episode. After my first bout of vertigo was gone for several weeks, it hit me again as I was starting to drive out of a parking lot. I had to hold on to the door (window was open) to keep from falling over while sitting behind the steering wheel! Thank goodness there was another driver in the car.

I have had Lupus since 1955 and Hashimoto's for about 5 years (discovered in Jan. this year), but did not know if either could cause such an episode. I have also had Lyme's again this year (bull's eye rashes around 3 different deer tick bites.)

ggma
I'm thinking vertigo is a symptom of lyme.  But lupus can affect the central nervous system.  I would get it checked out by your dr.
Thanks, but this episode was very different from vertigo that I have had before...no dizziness, no nauseau, etc. Two very different factors were
one: what I saw and experienced was staying still at angles like a crazy house at Halloween...and
two: my legs did not take me in the direction I was trying to get to..i.e. the staggering.
The diving platform was only about 3 feet directly behind me, but I could not just turn around & get there...kept lurching out towards deeper water. Another 2 steps in that direction would have put me well over my head! I can swim in normal conditions but this was NOT normal so I don't know what would have happened. I did not panic although I felt scared afterwards at the total unexpectedness. Whole episode was less than 5 minutes and I have not had another.

My problem with going to a doctor is which doctor would understand and not make things worse. With Lupus, adrenal fatigue, heart history, and now Hashimoto's, I cannot take drugs without awful side effects. I also have had way, way too much radiation over the years...have had pre-cancer 4 times that I was dx'd and lost my first child to Leukemia.

My primary doctor understands about the drugs but wants me to go to specialists. The specialists so far don't want to see me again unless I take the drugs they are pushing. A holistic doctor I used to go to, is no longer local, but I did go to her last month and she pretty much thinks a vegan diet will cure anything over time. I have lost 5 pounds in the month since although I was not overweight before and actually eat more food than before...don't go hungry at all. However, a few of my Hash. symptoms are coming back since I cut out fish, butter & heavy whipping cream (only diary I was eating, I had already cut out meat since not digesting it well). My thyroid gland is swelling occasionally again so that I have trouble swallowing, tired some days & some aching again. I feel pretty good today after 9 hours sleep last night.

Thanks for listening and if you know a good way to find a doctor in the Richmond, VA area ( preferably notrth of the James River) who is both familiar with Lupus, etc. AND has an open mind about using alternatives to drugs with their side effects, please let me know.

Peace,  ggma