Lupus Community
Sudden onset of abdominal pain, arm and leg weakness and headache

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

I haven't been diagnosed with Lupus yet but my Endo thinks I have it. Yesterday while in the shower I started having severe roght abdominal pain and then my arms and legs were very weak and I got a bad headache all over my head and I just generally felt weird. It lasted for 15 minutes then everything went away except for the headache which lasted all night. Are these symptoms of Lupus?
Hi Iris,
Happy New Year to you too.  Love your snow and dog pics.  

Those things could be associated with lupus, but could also indicate other things as well.  Could you list all of the symptoms you ae dealing with.  I know symptoms can come and go rather mysteriously w/ lupus.  So just give me an overview of any symptoms that have been going on. ~Thanks!

Kara
stomach ulcer, pleurisy, feet and leg pain, blurred vision, ocular migraines, Livedo Retcularis, Raynauds-hands and feet and knees,arm and leg weakness, neck pain, sharp pains on left side of face, burning skin pain-intermittent, scalp pain, indegestion, skin itching off and on, unexplained chest pain and upper left abdominal pain, back pain, small amounts of urine leakage that started 4 months ago, Fatigue, choking on own spit, easy bruising, memory problems, hairloss, tightening of muscles down left arm and left leg-very painful, TMJ-right side, eyes are sensitive to light, dizziness, pain in back of lower legs near ankles, pain in front of legs on ankles, Tinnitus, body vibrations. B12 deficiency and vitamin D deficiency.

I have been hypothyroid since my thyroidectomy surgery for micropapillary cancer march 27th, 2009. I did not have any treatment other than being put on Synthroid.
I also get very weak when trying to take shower.
Bless your heart.  You are going through quite a bit.  I'm so sorry.  Thanks for the symptom overview.  Most of your symptoms look like lupus.  I would think lupus can cause inflamation (inflammation) in amy part of your body (including your stomach).  But I have found anherb that helps calm the intestinal tract.  It's Slippery Elm Bark.  WONDERFUL herb!  I encourage you to look into it.  

There are 11 criteria for a lupus dx.  You must have at least 4 of the 11 to recieve a dx.

They are:
1. malar rash over cheeks (butterfly rash)
2. discoid rash, red raised patches
3. photosensitivity - reaction to sunlight, resulting in skin rash
4. oral and nose ulcers
5. arthritis
6. serositis - inflamation (inflammation) of the lining of the lung or heart
7. reanl disorder - excessive protein in urine and/or cellular casts
8. neurologic disorder - seizures, or psychosis
9. anemia or low white blood countor lymphopenia or low platelet count
10. positive ANA
11. positive anti-DNA or anti-Sm, or antiphospholipid antibody or false pos. syphilis test

Other symptoms are:
fever
abdominal pain
chest pain
shortness of breath
blood in urine
hair falling out
fatigue
muscle pain and weakness
dizziness
poor memory
headaches
poor circulation in fingers and toes
tingling in extremities
diarrhea
bloating
nausea
weight loss
abdominal pain
blurred vision
depression
palpitations
raynauds (where fingers turn white when cold)
intollerance to cold
sore throat
...to name a few

Keep in mind that fibromyalgia, CFS, MS and lymes disease also have similar symptoms.  

Keep us posted.  Do you have an appointment with a rhematologist?
~Kara
I have an appointment with a Rheumatologist on the 6th of January.
Great!  Let us know what you find out.  

Be sure and spend some time in the sun prior to your visit.  They will probably do an ANA among many other test.  It usually takes a week or two to get the results of these test.

Praying for you, ~Kara  

Thank you! Will do.
I went to the Rheumatologist today and she thinks I have a mild form of Lupus. She also thinks I have Sorgrens (I guess thats how you spell it). Along with my Livedo Reticularis and Raynauds. Doc also thinks I am having blood flow problem in my fingers which she said is also related to a autoimmune disease.

She wants me to get my eyes checked this week to check for lupus or MS. So she can get me on Plaquenil, to stop alot of the symptoms. She said if the med doesn't work she will add more meds to it. I also got a steroid shot to try and take away some of the inflammation.

She said I am having anxiety problems and a little agoraphobia since I am panicking around alot of people. She said that has to do with the thyroid levels and my norepinephrine levels since she said its like your brain being on speed.

They did blood work for all of it today and it will be back in 3 weeks. I have an appointment then to get results.

She said my Endo needs to do an ultrasound on my neck. My throat closed off while i was in her office and it was hard to talk.

I feel like crying, this is way too much stuff to absorb.
Bless your heart, I know it's hard to take it ll in initially.  But I know God will help you trough it.  Plaquinel really helped me.  Actually, it gave me my life back.  I thank God for plaquinel every day.  I still have flares, but I rarely have a flare that puts me to bed.  I had a flare today, but I continued to hobble around on a cane and later felt good enough to go to church and even do a little grocery shopping afterward.  

Sometimes my throat feels like it is closing off.  I'd be intrested in what they tell you.  At least you weren't sick for many years before getting a dx.  I thought I was going to die before I was dxed.  And I thought I was having an axiety attack. (didn't know what they felt like, I just knew I couldn't breath and my heart was beating so fast I couldn't count to beats.)  Even at the dr. office the next day, it was over 120 bpm.  Dr. said, no it's not anxiety.  I think it was just bcause I was really sick.  My body was trying to fight whatever was going on.  

Remember, we are all here for you.  If you ever need a shoulder to cry on, we're here.

God's blessing, Kara
I think after having thyroid cancer last year this diagnosis hasn't even phased me.

Did you have any side effects from the Plaquenil when you first started taking it?

I am trying to get an ultrasound of my neck set up today, I will let you know what they find, if anything.

My anxiety issues- My stomach starts hurting and I end up in the bathroom all day, it *****.

What are your flares like?
Thank you for listening, its nice to have someone to talk to about it.

Kim
Hi Kim,

Yes, I had some sid effects from Plaquenil.  I had diarrhea.  An herb called slippery elm has helped a lot.  I take it like I would immodeuim.  Some people don't feel comfortable w/ herbs, but I feel better about something natural than something man made that later they will tell you about a case action law suit.  Slippery Elm coats the entire digestive tract...all the way to the rectum.  

What are my flares like?  
fatigue
joint pain (some swell and get red)
muscle pain
muscle weakness
headaches
nausea
diarrhea
tachycardia
heart palpatations
tingly hands and feet
dizziness
heavy feeling on chest
abdomen swells
very cold
blurry vision
malar rash
feels like I have fever
ribs hurt/flank pain

You are welcome.  We are here for you.  
Kara
I told my Rheumy that i had Blurry vision and she said that leans more towards MS. I also have dry eyes, nose and mouth. She is testing me Sorgrens syndrome also.

What will happen if these test come out negative or normal, what then?

Kim