Lupus Community
anti-dna ds ab qn positive

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

anti-dna ds ab qn positive

my anti-dna ds ab qn results were value 29 with >9 being positive.  I have an appointment with a rheumatologist in June 2010.  My dr. says that he does not think this is lupus but a possible start to something else.  I would like to know if this is possible lupus and what i can do in the meantime to help my body?  Symptoms = "floating" joint pain/tenderness, periodic unexplained low grade fevers and some "tired" feelings.  I always attributed this to the aging process. I am 48 yrs. old.
You do have some symptoms that go along with lupus.  I know someone on here disagrees with me on this, but it was the one thing that helped me get a dx, thus help.  Prior to your appointment in June.  (Like right before you go into the dr. office)  Spend time in the sun.  Not more than 15 min.  What this does is, if you have lupus, it will cause the ANA to be elevated enough that the drs. will take notice.  Of coarse if you are dx w/ lupus, the sun is the one thing you need to avoid.  It causes an immune response in your body.  

Lupus is really difficult to dx.  And sometimes, people suffer for many years being told nothing is wrong with them or they are hypocondriacs.  I'm just trying to help people get some help sooner.  

There are 11 criteria for a lupus dx.  You must have at least 4 of the 11 to recieve a dx.

They are:
1. malar rash over cheeks (butterfly rash)
2. discoid rash, red raised patches
3. photosensitivity - reaction to sunlight, resulting in skin rash
4. oral and nose ulcers
5. arthritis
6. serositis - inflamation (inflammation) of the lining of the lung or heart
7. reanl disorder - excessive protein in urine and/or cellular casts
8. neurologic disorder - seizures, or psychosis
9. anemia or low white blood countor lymphopenia or low platelet count
10. positive ANA
11. positive anti-DNA or anti-Sm, or antiphospholipid antibody or false pos. syphilis test

Other symptoms are:
fever
abdominal pain
chest pain
shortness of breath
blood in urine
hair falling out
fatigue
muscle pain and weakness
dizziness
poor memory
headaches
poor circulation in fingers and toes
tingling in extremities
diarrhea
bloating
nausea
weight loss
abdominal pain
blurred vision
depression
palpitations
raynauds (where fingers turn white when cold)
intollerance to cold
sore throat
...to name a few

Keep in mind that fibromyalgia, CFS, MS and lymes disease also have similar symptoms.  

Praying for you sweetie.  I think I would go through your town on my way to Baton Rouge.  I live in the north part of the state.
Thank you so much for your help...this is scary and my appt. is not until June because the dr. will be on maternity leave.  This dr is the one my gp wants me to see.  I do have a few of these symptoms...intolerance to cold, fleeting poor short term memory, some shortness of breath (I am a smoker also), redness on my chest, some arthritic pain in my L ankle and knee which comes and goes (this is why I went to my gp), some tingling at times in my toes, depression from time to time, and my body is really sensitive to medications (a few pretty bad allergic reactions).  I also have palmar/plantar pustulosis (psoriasis) which comes and goes and seems to be affected mainly by my diet and stress.  I have been having that since 1980.  Autoimmune disorders do run in my family...uncle had pemphigus.  Any suggestions on diet and/or vitamins to take in the meantime??  PS...I have joined a smoking cessation support group yesterday.  And if you come through New Roads on Hwy 1 - when you turn on Hwy 3131 (Hospital Road) you are about 1 1/2 miles from my house.  I work approx. 1-2 miles from the intersection on Hwy 1 and Hwy 3131...look me up.  I would love to meet you and again - thank you SO much for your concern!!!
Yes, I have a few suggestions.

One, you could try some vit D3.  You can get it at any department/grocery store.  Symptoms of vit D defiicency are muscle pain and weakness, bone pain, stiffness, fatigue, insomnia, diarrhea, depression, heart palpatations, leg cramps, confusion and foot pain.

Another, avoid stress.  Most things are only temporary and not worth the fuss.  Try to maintain a possitive outlook.  That really goes a long way.

Avoid the sun.  

Lastly, try to eat as good as you can.  One guarantee of a flare for me is for me to drink a coke.  Any carbonated soft drink.  They are just not worth a 3 day flare.  

Put your trust in God.  He love us and care about every detail.  He not only want us to make Him the Lord of or lives, He wants to be our best friend too.

God bless and keep you,
Kara
Thank you...stress is a fact of life right now as you know through the discussions with marie.  I have stayed away from soft drinks - they don't help the psoriasis.  Basically, I try to follow an anti-inflammatory diet although in the last few weeks I blew it.  I have joined a smoking cessation program and am planning to quit on my sister-in-laws birthday - April 24th.  (She has been after me for years)  I just hope that this is lupus - I think I can handle that.  I have read that people talk about chest pain - is it like a soreness?  Was that one of your symptoms?  I just ache all over - but not all of the time.  I try not to take any tylenol if I can stand it.  The nsaids make me retain fluid - so I try to stay away from those also.  Just one more question - did you find that your body had weird reactions to different foods and drugs (even over the counter)?  I took mucinex dm for a cold around Easter and I went into a depression/panic attacks.  I thought it was due to the dm and got off of it and within 2-3days was much better.  My husband could not believe it.  I finally am letting him see how these things are affecting me. He has seen me with 2 antibiotic drug allergies - one within the last year was a med I had taken many times before - the other was in 2005 and so severe it got in my nervous system.  That's when most of my symptoms started. I have noticed that when I eat cashews (which I love) I can feel my ankle.  Makes me feel like I am a lunatic.  Again thank you for your concern.  God bless!!  
Sherry
I do have chest pain.  Sometimes it feels like my heart is hurting.  And when the symptoms are flaring, I have tachycardia and the chest pain along with all the other crazy symptoms.  The symptoms come and go and that is typical for autoimmune.  I also have shortness of breath when the symmptoms are flaring.

As far as reactions go, The only thing I noticed was after the gallbladder surgery, hydrocodone was given to me and it made me break out in hives.  I have noticed crazy things happening.  Like muscle twitches that last for a few seconds.  All ofthe sudden I will be cold.   Really cold.  Everyone else is fine.  But my fingers are turning white and I have got to get a coat and wrap up. I keep gloves with me all the time.  I know there are more crazy things, but off the top of my head I can't remember them.  I do know that at first I wouldn't tell my dr. things because I thought he would surely think I was crazy.  The most aggrevating thing is, I will be driving and for a moment I don't were I am or where I am going.  I have to keep telling myself what is going on.  Write everything down.  My short term memory is horrible.  I have to ask people to repeat things and even write down what they are saying before it registers.  

When do you go back to the dr.?
I will not see the rheum. until 29 june.  My gp...well lately it seems that i see him every couple of weeks for something or other.  Ate cashews the other day and since yesterday my L ear has intense itching with the mandibular joint/lymph nodes right under the ear hurting.  I know this sounds crazy...but it has happened before.  It's like this affects the tendons and some lymph nodes in my body...not all at the same time.  Once it may be in my L ankle, or L knee, or R elbow, or R knee, or back of the neck, or in my head.  I have had knots develop in my head like a lymph node is inflamed, lasts 3 to 4 days and it will just go away.  Sometimes I have to put hot compresses or apply a heating pad to the affected area.  Right now the L ear feels real itchy...almost a burning itch...swollen inside and stopped up.  Probably fluid in the inner ear.  I am putting some cortisone ear drops and it seems to help a little bit.  I also read about addisons disease...when I am on cortisone, I feel fine...like normal.  Does this help with lupus also?  As far as my memory, I always told my mom that I will not write things down because the brain is like a muscle...use it or lose it.   Lately, my memory has not been great.  I am a parts person so there is a lot of ordering for customers.  Sometimes when the part comes in I'll look at it and wonder who in the world did I order this for???  Or a customer will call and talk to me about something we discussed a few days before and I have to ask them to refresh my memory.  In some ways it is really humiliating.  So I am writing more down.  It's like my short term memory is failing.  I take this to heart because I have ALWAYS been sharp as a tack.  My friend told me she thinks that it is due to stress because I have multiple big problems going on in my life at the same time...sometimes I think this is true because my nerves tend to be on the edge lately.  But, looking back, I have been fighting these symptoms on and off since 2005.  Again, I am scared and I have to wait to see the rheum.  All of these things run in my head from the time I wake until bedtime.  Another question for you...have you heard or read anything about a correlation between lupus and ALS???  I heard something about researchers thinking that lupus could possibly be a precurser to ALS.  If my sister-in-law was well enough to make another trip to Houston, I would personally ask Dr. Stanley Appel...he is on the board of directors for mda and is a liason with ALS research...a genuinely kind and concerned man.  I once asked him, "Dr. Appel, may I ask you a question?"  and he told me, "You only want to ask me one question?"  as if he had all the time in the world to respond to every question we ever had!  He lost his first wife to ALS and had promised her that he would spend the rest of his life trying to find the answers.

I thank you for listening to my problems.  It's so nice to know that I can tell someone about what I am feeling...I have hidden it for so long.
sherry
OK, is the steroid an ear drop or a series of pills or a shot?  I really don't think the ear drops would cause the imporvement.  But it is not uncommon fr the symptoms to come and go mysteriously.  That is also common in fibromyalgia and I think w/ chronic fatigue.  

I have not heard that there be any research if lupus is a precursor to ALS.  I really don't think so.  I don't personally know anyone w/ ALS, but I know several people w/ lupus.  I would think that would raise the likelyhood of people getting ALS.  Death is likely w/ ALS, but not w/ lupus.

My advice to you is to "try" not to fret over everything.  Your appt. is a ways off.  Stress is something you will want to avoid.  Keep a positive attitude.  The rhemy will want to repeat all the labs.  So be ready to hurry up and wait.  It takes them a log time to process those type labs.  Be sure and apend time in the sun prior to you appt. in June.  And go ahead and ak the nurse/dr. what you will need to do to get a copy of you lab results faxed to you as soon as they come in.  This way you have a little time for it to absorb and do some research.  

I struggle w/ the short term memory thing, but I have just sucked in my pride in just admitt I have a lightn' quick mind.  It's gone in a flash.  It is so very frustrating.  I have always had a wonderful memory.  I guess that's why it has been so frustrating.  My kids try to take advantage of that too.  But sometimes I can remember.  So God doesn't let them get by w/ their tricks.  Fibro and CFS also have this symtpom.  
lol...i can only imagine how the kids try to take advantage of your memory...fortunately, i don't have little ones around here to try that one!  thanks again for the info. i will keep you posted.  started taking my meloxicam again last night and the ear feels a bit better.  not as inflamed.