Lupus Community
auto immune and nature made sleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

auto immune and nature made sleep

Can anyone figure out why a all natural sleep medicine called sleep by nature made says NOT to use if you have an autoimmune condition????  Its main ingredients are L-theanine, melatonin, chamomile flower extract, passion flower extract, and lemon balm extract.
This web site might be of some help.

http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

I'm thinking it is the melatonin.  It has a small immune booster.  (I think)  I personally take a small amount of melatonin to help me sleep.  
http://www.itzarion.com/lupusnutrition.html

http://www.spineuniverse.com/wellness/nutrition/supplements-melatonin

So one article says it's OK and the other one says not OK.  Maybe in small amounts.  I take 5HTP (200mg) along w/ some benadryll at night which helps me sleep.  Hope this helps.

I've also seen this warning on melatonin bottles and I asked my doctor about it (I had wanted to try melatonin for sleep).  She said that you definitely shoudl NOT take melatonin if you have an auto immune disorder, but she didn't completely explain the reason - simply said that it can mess with your "levels", which could make your auto immune symptoms worsen.  So therefore, I've stayed away from trying the melatonin.  I'm not sure about hte other ingredients listed on the above post.
I forgot to mention - we all need to remember that even things that are "all natural" doesn't necessarily mean they are GOOD for us or SAFE (cocaine for example!)

It's always best to check with your doctor before starting (or stopping) anything new.
Some things that are natural naturally occur in our bodies.  Melatonin is one of them.  It naturally occurs as a result of being awake and having sun exposure.  Then when we are at rest it is natually released while we sleep.  But as we grow older, those levels decrease w/ age.  

I understand that not everything that is natural is good for you, but in my opinion, melatonin is different.  The lupus foundation did address this as a "not in excessive amounts".  In one of these sites I mentioned, the writer descibed a horrible flare that she believed was brought on by her taking large amounts of melatonin.  I listed two web sites, both w/ a different twist on the matter.  One from the lupus foundation, one from someone posting a comment to a question.  

I agree, it is always best to check w/ your dr. before starting or stopping anything new.

Thanks for your input.  
Thank you for explaining that to me.  I also wanted to explain my comment about "natural things" not always being good because as I re-read my own comment, it didn't sound very clear or at all like what I was trying to say.  

I most certainly did not mean that someone shouldn't take melatonin (or any other herbs, natural remedies, supplements, etc.) - IF it will not affect their current medications or conditions.  My comment was really meant to address the fact that even if something is already naturally occurring in our bodies - or is a supplement, etc., that it is not always a safe and effective "alternative" for everyone.

I do apologize for the way my comment sounded and if it caused any trouble/questions for anyone at all.  I think this definitely goes to show me that I shouldn't post or comment when I'm not feeling well and not thinking clearly because of that!
Oh girl, you have no need to apologize.  This is  forum and I think it's great to see all sides.  Your side was great.  I agree actually.  And I think we should all be on the side of caution.  These autoimmune diseases should be taken seriously.  People do occasionall die from these.  You certainly are a valuable part of the forum.  I hope I didn't appear to come on strong.  I truly am a gentle person and didn't mean to make you feel like you caused trouble.  You certainly did not.  

I feel there are many people on this forum much more equiped to answer these questions than I am.  But sometimes it helps to get more than one view on things.  It helps us think things through.  There is a warning on the bottle that makes people wonder just why is it there.  I have wondered that as well.  The answer is, it is an immune booster.  

Your answer is correct.  I, as well as others question the statement on the melatonin bottle.  Especially since most people w/ autoimmune diseases as well as fibromyalgia have trouble sleeping and are looking for alternaltives to help us sleep w/o the narcotic affect of prescription medicine.  It helps us draw conclusions for ourselves.

Thank you for you input, you are a valuable part of the forum.  
Thank both of you ladies for both of your respones. I did get ahold of the company and that was correct about melatonin and it being an immune booster. That is indeed why they posted the warning.  If I take the meatonin mixed with other herbs such as sleep md and nature made sleep it works great, I too take it with benedryl to help me sleep at night :) however whenever I have takin it in a higher dose by itself its a different story.