Lupus Community
discoid lupus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

discoid lupus

I had a rash on my arms for two years before I decided to have it biopsied.  The rash got worse in the sun and like a dummy, I  spent a ton of time in the sun this past summer.  The rash, although it has been there for 2 years, got worse over this past summer.  I suppose because I spent so much time in the sun this year.  The biopsy came back as discoid lupus.  I had all my blood work and a urinalysis.  My appt wtih the Rhumy is scehduled for 9/22/08.  I don't have any results from my blood work yet.  I will find out what they are when I go to the Rhumy.  My question is, I have considerable muscle weakness and I sometimes feel achey (achy) and feverish.  Althouth, I don't think I have an actual fever.  I have troube with my knees hurting after exercise for days.  I have some other symptoms as well but I thought alot of them were due to age.  I am 55.  My question is how many people have you heard of that had discoid lupus (especially for two years without treatment) actually develop sle.  Thanks
Hi there! I don't hear of many people with discoid lupus and even fewer that actually develop sle after a dle diagnosis. I was in my late 30's when I was diagnosed, also after a biopsy. One thing that's true is that women's hormone changes affect lupus, and the hormone changes associated with preganancy can put DLE into SLE. It's a difficult decision but I had my tubes tied after my diagnosis but already carried two beautiful daughters full term. My skin was horrible for a long time and took well over a year to get it under control. I thought my skin would always look like it'd been burned badly even on the palms of my hands. I thought it was some sort of stress induced eczema. I've taken plaquenil for ten years and only took prednisone long enough to stop my hair from falling out! My flares correlate with the bi-weekly hormone changes, and the fatigue is much worse after sun exposure with or without the hormone fluxuations. It's quite a balancing act! I've had doctors tell me that based on my lab's from the beginning, I never should have been diagnosed with sle, but definitely have discoid lupus. The skin on my face is a wreck. The TAC or other steroid creams used to treat the lesions will eventually thin your skin. I had kenalog injections in my face for the lesions and now have greater problems because the kenalog is non-discriminatory in what it eliminates leaving some fancy scars; it's been very humbling for someone who didn't have a zit until her mid-30's.
Best wishes ~ p.m. me anytime ~ Wosh.