Lupus Community
flank pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

flank pain

Question:
Does anyone with lupus also have flank pain and or rib pain?
85%
 (6) 
yes
14%
 (1) 
no
7 Members voted
I have not been technically diagnosed with Lupus, my diagnosis is UCTD, but my rheumy is telling me she is pretty sure that I will end up with a diagnosis of Lupus.  I have really bad muscle spasms in my rib cage and I have deep pain in the flank area.
Yes Yes Yes and it is horrible.  I don't know if it is kidneys or something else causing it.  I guess it is just all part of the disease.  
hi my  name is michelle and my dad was told to day that he has a high chance that he has lupus he has rib pain that he cant take any more and pain throw out his neck  he was told that his pain was from having surgry on his lungs me and my sister dont no any thing about lupus and all my dad could say is o no thats bad
I'm sorry to hear that your dad is not doing well.  Lupus is not the scarry thing it used to be.  They have medicine that can help with the symptoms.  His dr. can guide him in some things that he can do to bring healing to his body.  Like excercise when he starts to feel better and to cut back/out sugar (because this feed inflamation (inflammation)).  They might could even tell him some supplements that could help with the symptoms (Like magnesium helps with muscle spasms in the legs) (Or vit. D to help with the deficiency that usually goes along with lupus.) (Or taking the stress out of our lives..the best you can!)

There are many people here much smarter than I who would love to help your family work through the struggles of being dx with a major illness.  It's not as major as cancer.  

Thank you for your reply.  I've been trying to figure out if the flank pain is connected to the lupus or the hydronephrosis in my right kidney (where an obstruction has caused the kidney to balloon out.)

God bless you...praying for you and your dad
I may have asked you this before, but what is UTCD?  What kinds of symptoms do you have with that?

Thanks for your input on the flank pain.  Maybe lupus causes the connective tissue in the ribs to soften and become inflamed.  Who knows?!
UCTD is undifferentiated connective tissue disease.  That is a very log-winded way of saying I probably have Lupus but don't have enought symptoms to be officially diagnosed yet.  MY last ANA was 1:1280 (December) my symptoms so far are:

• Muscle atrophy (right forearm)
• Headaches
• Muscle spasms (back, legs, feet, neck, rib cage)
• Muscle twitches (eyes, restless legs)
• Chronic pain (Neck, back, arms, hips)
• Shortness of breath
• Fatigue
• Irritability
• Difficulty concentrating
• Short term memory issues
• Skin tenderness
• Joint pain/tenderness
• Insomnia
• Dry throat/mouth
• Heel pain
• Esophageal spasms
• Difficult/painful swallowing
• Acid reflux w/headaches
• Headaches
• Severe fluid retention
• IBS
• Chronic cough/choking
• Incontinence
• Chronic nausea/vomiting
• Weight gain
• Depression
• Rib and flank pain

LOL, you'd think that would be enough symptoms for a real diagnosis, but I guess not.
Oh, yeah, I forgot to put it on the list, but I have recently started having deep muscle pain in my legs and glutes.
I'm not a dr. but I think you have low vit D (eye  and muscle twitches).  You probably need magnesium and calcium...and if you drink sodas you need to lay off of them.  

But I agree, you have quite a long list there and sounds like there should be enough.  Although you didn't mention any problems with your skin.  Have they checked your thyroid function, or signs of fibromyalgia.

Have they tried any medications?
I don't have skin problems, really.  Just extremely dry skin.

The only meds I am currently on are meloxicam and balcofen and .05 mg of levothyroxine.  I am hypothyroidal and just started on the levo a couple of months ago, but I know the dosage needs to be raised.  I need to go to the dr, but I am still playing catch-up on medical bills and Hurricane Ike related debts and I can't afford any more medical bills right now.  I got hit by hurricanes Ike and Lupus at the same time, lol.
Sorry, should have been Baclofen
Hello...

YOU have a ton of symtoms (symptoms)..bless your heart. The dry eyes and dry esophagus sounds like Sjogren's Syndrome. My mom had that along with SLE Lupus.  Also, connective tissue and vasculitis...She was misdiagnosed for many, many years, until a Fabulous Rhuemy doctor here in Louisiana properly diagnosed and treated her for 7 years. She passed away at age of 78 in Sept. 2006. I was her 24/7 caregiver.
Sweetie, we have talked about it but I think your connective tissue diagnosis is because you have more symptoms than just lupus like a lot of us.  I had that dx for a long time and I think I got my dx of lupus because when my doctor wanted to put me on chemo the first time I pinned her down and said WHAT DO I HAVE?  lol  and she said LUPUS.  I know I have Raynauds and I recently have been dx'd with vasculitis of my heart.  Now I have swelling in my throat/neck and trouble swollowing.  We just overwhelmed those darn doctors.  lol  I have a lot of pain in my hips and after a bone scan we found osteopenia.  It's probably that and the lupus and the fibro.  We are medical mysteries.  
It's so hard to know what's causing what isn't it.  And I always want to know and understand.  I voted and yes I have pain around my rib cage and it wraps around my entire rib cage at times and hurts a lot in the mid section of my back.  But I won't pretend to know why you are having your pain.  What do you think after this poll?
God Bless you my dear friend,
Joni
For all of you in this post that claim to have difficulty with memory, concentration, head aches, etc have you had a brain MRI to see what this would reveal?  I mean are you saying that Lupus is attacking your brain?  I am confused about this as I have many horrible brain symptoms with abnormal brain MRI along with other devastating symptoms throughout my body (too numerous to mention cause I know you don't have all day LOL) and after 6 yrs I still don't have a diagnosis!!!  I swear this is sooooo frustrating.  I am learning alot from all of you though.  Thanks for all of your input and posts!!!
I had an MRI and MRA over a year ago and the Neuro. said I had a beautiful brain and that he doesn't get to look at healthy brains often so he was excited.  lol  Just thought I would let you know.  I know you said you had some white - something - sorry can't think of what you called it, on your brian.  Did they call them lessions?  I certainly hope you get a dx. soon.  I had to fight for a dx.  When my old Rheumy wanted me to start chemo I told her not without knowing what you think this is.  That's when she said the L word.
God Bless.
Joni
Joni,
You asked me what I thought after this poll.
I think that the actual rib pain is probably lupus related, but I also have some spasm/pain just below the ribs in the back/flank area.  I also have a very weak and dribbly stream of urine.  Those symptoms I think are realted to the obstruction in my ureter.

I appreciate everyones input.  

Thank you Joni for your friendship.  I'm glad you are better and getting the help you need.
God bless you my dear friend.