humira to treat lupus
hi, i was diagnosed with sle in sept 2007, since then the diagnosis has been changed to mctd as i also have sjogrens and raynauds.  the rheumy says that i also have all the symptoms of ra but do not have the positive ra factor when testing my blood.  he thinks that i will get some help from humira and i am to start that this week.  i have done searches but only find info on humira induced lupus, nothing about treating lupus with humira.  is anyone on here taking humira for lupus?  any advise would be greatly appreciated.  thanks!!
What were you taking before?
Your post was about a year ago, but I am wondering how you have been doing on the Humira?  I am in a similar situation - I was diagnosed with SLE in Sept 2010 with main symptoms of finger, hand, and wrist arthritis that did not respond to MTX or moderate doses of prednisone (6 - 40 mg per day over the past year).  MTX was stopped in Jan 2011 and Imuran started, but my arthritis persisted so I was put on Humira in mid April 2011.  My current Rheumy switched my diagnosis to undifferentiated arthritis with high suspicion for SLE or seronegative RA.  Today I'm on plaquenil, prednisone (tapering down from 5 mg), imuran (150 mg per day), humira (injection every 10 days), celebrex (100 mg twice daily), and elavil (for insomnia and chronic pain of metatarsalgia & nueralgias in foot) plus medium & Zantac for GERD & Barret's esophagus, and I'm doing pretty well!  My arthritis is MUCH better than it was a year ago, so I believe the humira and celebrex have helped the most, possibly the imuran as well since I have to stay on that along with the humira.  I have not developed any bad side effects from the humira thankfully, and my DS-DNA is still negative.  I am being closely monitored for SLE related symptoms just in case, but have had none besides the arthritis.  Would like to know whic systemic, chronic connective tissue diseases I have one of these days, but, in the meantime, I'm happy with the combo of drugs I'm on....not entirely pain & stiffness free, but pretty close on most days...hoping it lasts!!!  Please let me know how you are doing (or did) on the humira.
Hi there, glad to have you on board.  Welcome to MedHelp lupus forum.
Thanks...with my current diagnosis of "undifferentiated arthritis" that is lupus-like, I don't feel like I belong anywhere right now...but my former rheumy diagnosed me with SLE because I met 4 of the ACR criteria (highly positive ANA of 1:640, photosensitivity, arthritis, and mouth ulcers)...my current Rheumy changed my diagnosis because he felt my arthritis (hands, fingers & wrists in particular) is so bad that it's RA like....but I have None of the bloodwork to indicate RA....fortunately, he is monitoring my DS-DNA and urine protein levels along with my full bloodwork every 2 months, since he still considers my symptoms to raise suspicion for SLE...am still negative for all the lupus-like antibodies except for the ANA...who knows, maybe I'll end up having both...I am on some of the typical lupus meds (like prednisone & Imuran & Celebrex) but the Humira is a big stretch & controversial for lupus patients because it can cause lupus in RA patients (so they don't know how it will affect lupus patients)....but it is helping my arthritis...deep down inside I still think I do have lupus though because I definitely have photosensitivity, though I haven't had the sun-induced rash in over 2 years now...but that could be because the plaquenil & Imuran are working to prevent that...I guess what really matters is that my rheumy is taking my symptoms seriously & treating them as best as possible...was on 6 - 40 mg per day of prednisone since Aug 2010 but we are tapering down so I'm at a record low of 5 mg now...I'm still attending my local lupus support group too...even if I end up with "just" RA vs lupus or "rhupus", the women in the LSG can certainly relate to the chronic disease, chronic pain, fatigue, and other common symptoms of these terrible autoimmune connective tissue diseases, so we have a lot in common.....nice to join the MedHelp lupus group too...maybe I'll find another person with similar lupus-like symptoms of moderate to severe arthritis but few of the other systemic organ problems of typical lupus (except for skin)...and normal bloodwork, other than the 1:640 ANA...and who is on a boatload of meds to control the arthritis, some atypical for SLE...thanks again for the warm welcome!!!
I have Lupus and am being treated with Humira and MTX.  The Humira has been the best medication I have used for the severe pain.
Thanks so much for your input!!!  Could you share the dosage amount of both please.
Can you send me the dosage of both meds thanks and any other thing you think can help my wife has lupus and arthritis and the doctor dose not talk about new meds for both .thanks god bless my email address is ***@**** thank you