hypothyroid high tsh 9.7 normal t3
I have been having a lot of hypothyroid symptoms but my t3 is normal.  tsh is 9.7 and my doctor states no med adjustment.  recommended I see an endrocrinologist if i want a second opinion.  What does high tsh and normal t3 mean with symptoms?

My younger sister just had a heart attack yesterday and this is very concerning to me.  four sisters all have hypothyroid and other autoimmune diseases.

I'm not a doctor, but, as far as I'm concerned this just indicates that you're not on a high enough does of thyroid hormones (if you're taking them)... or that you should be taking them.

Your thyroid is still apparently making thyroid hormones, but it needs to be over stimulated (the high TSH) in order for it to do so. So, its weak, and not doing its job as it should.

You can't go off of just one test, since reading will fluctuate. If your TSH is consistently high like this, with relatively normal T3, then I'd think you're likely becoming hypothyroid and should take thyroid replacement.

You should probably consult with and Endocrinologist.
I have been told that my hympthryoid was too high, 9.  I live in the boonies but am an hour from Johns Hopkins and all the big hospitals in DC, Baltimore, And the answer is see an Endrocronologist.  I went but I was actually looking for the disease that is causing the thyroid problem and an empty cella in the brain.  I have been seeing a great team of doctors but the best one is my Nuerologist at Georgetown so far.  He actually said my levels were a surpise but something to help with the diagnosis.  I found the endrocronologist on my Aetna doc find pages.  She was tested in over 5 specialty boards of excellence so I thought she would be worth another 11/2 hour drive by a family member.  I have lost quite a bit of my vision and my hearing all without the answers to why.  She was blown away by my blood pressure medicine and high heart rate and was afraid to add the homone therapy because it raises the heart rate.  She only started me on it on 50 mg. and I am still putting on weight like a cow.  I barely eat and I drink so much that it's rediculous when i have to catherter my self 4 to 5 hrs. per day.  I have lost the power to go either way to the bathroom on top of it all .  I am getting bags put of soon and I'm only 46.  I am so blown away by the way we get treated and my advice is find a new doctor and don't be afraid to fire them.  They are just like us but they just went to med school.  Please feel better and fight for yourself or get someone to help fight for you to get the best care, either through the city or hospital or family member.  
My the level was at 9.3 ...n I been feeling like crap....way can I do to reverse it
Hi Chuchi225. You have responded to a very old post.

As far as serum testing goes, the most indicative & accurate for cellular thyroid function are: Free T3 (fT3), Free T4 (fT4) AND Reverse T3 (rT3)
All 3 are needed!
  fT3/rT3 ratio is probably the most reliable marker for low cellular thyroid function.

To my opinion though we cannot find a better method to test than Dr. Barnes Basal Temperature Test. (there are several versions now)
I have devoted countless of hours, scanning through the studies and groundbreaking work of Dr. Barnes, The Father of Hypothyroidism, lol!
  Simply brilliant and way ahead of his time!

Instructions For Taking Basal Body Temperature:
Use an ordinary oral or rectal glass (not digital) thermometer.
Shake down the thermometer the night before, and place it on your nightstand.
The first thing in the morning BEFORE you get out of bed, place the thermometer under your arm for ten(10) minutes.
Record the temperature reading and date right away!
Repeat for 10 days.
Normal Range: 97.6 to 98.2
Averages below indicate hypothyroidism.

Find a good Endocrinologist who will treat you according to Dr. Barnes teachings.

Cheers,
Niko