Lupus Community
i think i may have lupus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

i think i may have lupus

hi everyone,i have had many symptoms for several months now,i have seen a urologist as my most painful one is pelvic pain and urinary urgency,nothing was found at cystoscopy,i have night sweats,painful knees only at night which frequently wakes me up,stiffness and weakness in hands,constant unrelenting fatigue , cold sweats,i suffered from a rather unusual psychotic/manic episode which seems to have triggered everything else off........no history of bi-polar,does anyone here recognise these symptoms?my mother suffers from raynauds phenomenon which i know is related to lupus,i am 37 and so far all my blood tests have come back normal(fbc,liver,kidney etc),would very much appreciate your views..............
You may have a couple of things going on here.  I would definitely ask to be seen by a rheumatologist.  Has anyone checked you for ovarian cysts?  They can cause abdominal pain and urinary urgency.  As can gallbladder issues.  Have they checked your thyroid as well?  Please let us know how it goes.
yea i have had thyroid checked and i would have thought any gallbladder problems would have shown up in liver bloods??i donated my eggs in march and it seems that my problems began within 2 weeks of this but i have had scans and my ovaries look fine.........im just wondering if taking those fertility drugs has set some sort of auto immune thing off,i have to take naps every now and then throughout the day as im so tired and thats not right and im definetely not aneamic,hg was 11.4 which is normal........
Hi Nicolette, Some test I would suggest you ask your doctor about are:
ANA
Sed Rate
anti-DNA
anti-Sm
(there is a whole panel of test that they run if an autoimmune disease is suspected).

But the best advice I can give is TO SPEND TIME IN THE SUN PRIOR TO THEM CHECKING THE ANA.  What this does is, if you have lupus, the sun exposure will cause an inflamatory response therefore causing the ANA to go up.  

The fertility drugs could cause perhaps ovarian cyst to form.  But lupus can cause problems in every area of your body.  It is very possible that the urgency could be caused by lupus.  
thanks hun,next time i go to docs i will mention these..........x
I agree completely with Karajo.  Those are the blood tests I would have.  I have lupus and I would swear to you sometimes that I am having cramps like I am about to start and I had a hysterectomy when I was 26.  I never had those cramps before I got sick two years ago with lupus.  I also have extreme fatigue at times.  Actually that was the first symptom I had when i first became ill.  I was in Real Estate and I had been so exhausted for about 6 weeks.  I was showing a house one day and realized there was no way I was going to make it up the stairs to show that house.  I went to the doctor that week and it all began.  I went through so many doctors and so many diagnosis before they got it right.  It took almost a year to be dx'd correctly.  I think the blood tests Karajo mentioned will tell you a lot, especially the ANA because that will tell you if anything autoimmune is going on with you.  Please let us know what you find out.
Joni
thankyou so much,i am off to docs tomorrow so i will mention those tests,will let you know.............x
well that was a total waste of time!my gp didnt seem in any way interested in what i had to say and sent me on my way with another prescription for tramadol:(.she admitted she had no idea what was wrong and said hopefully it will just settle down.........so great,WTH do i do now??!!
Hey girl, try not to get too bumbed out.  I know it's crazy, but some doctors don't take patients serious until they have come in their office 2 and even 3 times with the same complaint.  Your dr. may be that kind.  

Did you ask her about the test for lupus or if they would check for a uterian cyst?
well i had a pelvic exam last week and no masses could be felt and i mentioned lupus but she didnt seem to be in any way interested i think because my bloods have all come back normal but they havent tested for that,ive had my iron,liver,kidneys and thyroid tested but there must be hundreds of tests!
Don't lose hope.  i went through the same thing.  I actually had a client with lupus I was building a house for when I got sick ( I know God sent her to me).  She told me to ask the doctor to check my ANA.  The doctor actually said, "I don't know what your friend is talking about" when I told her that.  I did not go back to her.  It actually took me going to a neurologist and telling him what was going on and he decided to do a full virus panel along with ANA and a few others.  That's where my ANA came back positive.  He is such a great doctor, he actually pulled out his cell phone and called a Rheumatologist on his cell phone at 6 in the evening and got me in to see him that week.  I was and still am impressed by him.  He is my Neuro forever.  Although I hope I don't need him for anything.  ;)  I would suggest you go to another doctor and tell them what's going on.  Spend about 30 minutes in the sun if you can and see if your checks get a little pink.  That will maybe help them take notice.  My checks used to be solid pink all the time.  It was only a few months ago that stopped.  But my ANA is still 1:1280 right now.  The symptoms just change and come and go.  Right now I am having some lung issues.  I ahd pneumonia back in April and I am still trying to recover fully.  Do you have a plan?  Let us know how you are.
Joni
well thing with uk health service is it can be kinda hard to get referred to see any specialist but the ana test is a simple blood test which the nurse could do,i think i will go and see another doc though,i havent noticed the lupus butterfly rash although i did notice that lately i seem to burn in the sun far quicker than normal,my body temp seems to be all over the place and seems to be unusually low most of the time at about 36.3,it has been as l,ow as 35.5 which isnt normal,very rarely have a temp but have constant cold sweats,is that a lupus type symptom?thankyou for all your support folksxx
Hey girl,
Normal celcius temperature is 37.  So yours is low.  Have they checked you TSH thyroid?  Usually lupus causes one to have fevers.  They may also want to check your vit D level.  Some of your symptoms could be related to that.  Magnesium deficiency can cause muscle cramps and twitches.  The proper ratio is 2 parts calcium to 1 part magnesium.  So 1200mg of calcium and 600 mg of magnesium is what is recommended.  It would be worth a try.

When are you scheduled to go back to the dr?  It's scary for us, cause if that health care bill passes, we would probably end up with the same healthcare you are dealing with.  Praying for you girl, Kara
yea my thyroid levels are normal,no appointments booked at the moment,i just feel so deflated every time i leave that place lol...............x