Lupus Community
lupus & fluorescent lights - can it cause fevers?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

I was diagnosed with lupus (SLE) almost 9 years ago and take prednisone and plaquenil on a daily basis.  I work in a building where there are fluorescent lights.  I have been running a fever everyday, anywhere from 100-102 since August when I started work again (I have the summers off).  I have worked there for years, and I only seem to get these fevers on a regular basis when I'm at work.  I have recently read that ultraviolet rays can come from fluorescent lighting and that they can trigger lupus flares.  I am also extremely sensitive to the sun.  Is it possible that the fluorescent lighting is causing my fevers?  I rarely have a fever when I'm at home.  It usually only happens when I'm at work.  I just want to know why I'm having these fevers and if the fluorescent lighting could be causing them.  Thank you for reading this, and any advice is GREATLY appreciated.....thank you for your time.

You are right ! This is one of the reasons I am on disabilty. After one hour I begin to run a fever. I live on Long Island and have to avoid the beach unless I have a large umbrella with me.

Yes, I've seen this info regarding fluorescent lights and also halogen lights.  You have to wear sunscreen even indoors when there is this type of  lighting especially if you are this sensitive to the sun.  
I have been working on my job for twenty years. I was just diagnosed with Lupus and I sit at a computer everyday directly under a big flourescent light and a vent.  It makes me miserable.  I havent had a fever but I am sensitive to light.  I have not told my job about my condition. I do not want to stop working.  I felt so bad last week I went to Human Resources about disability retirement.  I am 44 years old. I am taking Prednisone and Plaquenil also.  Being weaned off Prednisone.  I am going to asked to be moved to an area where the light is a little dim.  Maybe you should too.  My major complaint right now is my vision.  It has me miserable. I had an MRI/MRA of the brain/neck (normal) EEG - will get results next week. Saw opthalmology today - no optic damage. Will go back later this week for another eye test.  I am not giving in or getting up.  I rode my internal medicine doctor and insisted that there was something that he was missing.  There was inflammation in my body. I could tell by the reaction I had from a sinus cocktail shot.  He finally did some test dealing with inflammation and that was how I found out about the Lupus.  Didnt take years to find out becaused I was not gonna allow it.  Just venting!
I am 32 years old and was diagnosed with lupus 11 years ago. i have alot of issues with flouresant lights such as; dizzines,headaces fatigue,strange tingling sensations,an awful blurry drugged feeling and iseem to also get fevers after being exposed to them.
                                               Kim
I was diagnosed with Lupus Feb 2012 I was started on Plaquenil  400mg a day, I was so upset about the fact that I had lupus and didn't really think about the medication.  I waited for it to kick in for the joint pain, fatigue and it helped some.  All of a sudden other things started to happen some blurry vision that would come and go during the day, confusion and spoke to my Ruemy about it.  He called it lupus fog.  Then about a year later, fevers started 99-100.6, okay and I felt awful and had every test under the sun and moon and came back normal.  I lost about 20 pounds in one month as well.  Strange lumps popping up on my stomach and waist.  My lymph  nodes started to swell as well in my neck and had a lump.  All the other dr would say well you have Lupus, it's the lupus, lupus its a funny disease. If I had a dollar for every DR that said that to me, I would be a rich lady.  I found a new Ruemy dr who took me off the Plaquenil and within a 5 days, my fevers and lymph nodes went back to normal.  I will give you my joints pain and fatigue is not good at all.  I would have never thought I was having bad side effects making me sicker from the medication I was on for over a year and didn't know, its not like the fevers started right away.  My brain lupus fog has even gotten better.  I just wanted to share, I was so dead against going off this mediation cause I was on it for so long and never thought it was the medication.  I need to find a new medication cause I am hurting, but I am waiting for my blood work to come back :(    
I have had Lupus SLE for about 10 years now (that I know of, anyway).  I, too, am unable to take many medications as I always seem to have some type of reaction.  I also have subsequent Fibromyalgia (from the Lupus), which makes me hurt all.the.time.  I was seeing a Rheumy out in Tampa for the longest, and he was the most open-minded doc I have had thus far.  I explained to him that I would like to take the LEAST amount of meds possible, as the side effects seem infinitely more debilitating than the actual disease at times!  I am not a candidate for the Plaquenil, as my kidneys are shot from the Lupus and years of attack.  I had a terrible reaction (migraines, fevers, vomiting, lethargy, bed-confinement, etc) to Lyrica.  I was sick as a dog to the Cymbalta they tried for the Fibro, which also made it hard to concentrate--I felt like I sustained some type of brain injury/stroke while on that stuff!   He finally agreed to take me off the meds and monitor me--letting me utilize more natural means to try to control my disease processes...
I am happy to report that while I do utilize meds, it is only minimal.  I have Ativan for when the Lupus decides to target my heart and related organs, causing me to tach up in the 160's (not a welcome thing by patient OR physician when you are well into your 40's).  I take only as needed, which seems to be only once or twice per month(although more frequent now as I approach menopause).  
I use Prednisone when I am having a "flare"--which I can now recognize at onset after going thru enough of them---I keep some on-hand at home, and just simply call my doc to advise him that I have restarted the Prednisone for the time being until I am "over the hump" of the flare.  Occasionally, I will have to go to the ER Dept and get Solumedrol or something with a little more "kick" to arrest the flare, but I hate to do that, as the ER here does not know how to treat Lupus.  I have to say, it is unnerving when a physician you go to for help has to ask YOU what he/she should do....  I could have stayed home and typed my issue into "Google".  But that is aside from my story here.  
The best medicine I have found by far to assist with the pain and stiffness, etc is  plain old EXERCISE.  I know, the thought of getting up and moving when all you want to do is sleep (or crawl in a hole and die bc you are hurting so badly!) is daunting to say the least.  But I am not talking about hitting the gym and feeling the burn---my heart will not allow that in the least!  And last time, the Lupus decided to hit up my lungs too, which gave me a bout of pleurisy to boot.  So no gym for me.  Nope.  I am talking about a nice leisurely walk to start.  Not far, just as long as it is far enough to get the blood flowing to your extremities.  And not out in the heat/bright sun of the Florida day (I live in Sarasota).  You will be worse for wear if you do.  But starting with baby steps and working up to maybe a mile or so a day, you will keep those joints lubricated and less painful/stiff.  You will boost the endorphins that battle the pain as well.  You will positively affect your immune system--which plays a huge part of Lupus/RA/Fibro/and all that other stuff that comes with it.
As bad as it sounded, and as sore as I was when I first started moving, it has been the only saving grace I have found.  And not that I expect this to be EVERYONE'S outcome, as Lupus affects us all in different ways, but..... I was able to return to work.  I have held two and three jobs at a time in fact--I do this, as I know it is probably only a matter of time when I will no longer be ABLE to work, and I need to : 1) pay as much into disability as I can so I will have a better income when that time comes, and 2) pay off as much debt as I can so my disability when/if I should need it will go further than if it happened today (God forbid).  
Lupus is not an easy disease--not only do you "not look sick", causing some of the people who should be your biggest supporters to be the source of your disappointment/defeat.  When compounded with Fibro or RA or any of the OTHER myriad of things that tend to strike up a love affair with Lupus, it is even WORSE because you end up trying to treat multiple things (ex: the pain of Lupus may/may not respond to standard pain meds, but Fibro does NOT, as there is no "real source" of pain, per se, it is your PAIN RECEPTORS in overdrive.). The first step is to simply accept that THIS is what is.  There is nothing you did to deserve it, ask for it, or "bring it on yourself".  That is #1.  
#2, take it one day at a time--maybe I can't take my kid to the park today, and maybe not tomorrow either.  But that doesn't mean I will NEVER go to the park again.  Just not today, and that is okay.  I am not going to beat myself up over it, bc if I had pneumonia, or cancer, or something more widely accepted, no one would EXPECT me to go to the park today.  So forgive yourself, and congratulate yourself for knowing your limits.  
#3, know that the so-called "experts" are all just guessing right along with you.  They don't know about YOUR body.  They have a general idea.  So keep a log and pay attention.  You know you better than anyone, and only YOU know how you feel.  

And that is about all I can say on the matter thus far.