Lupus Community
lupus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

lupus

I am trying to lose weight but on steriods.  What can I do to lose it fast and can I take topamax while on steriods.

Yvette
I wouldn't take topamax for any reason, on or off steroids. Even neurologists call it "dopamax" because it makes people so dumb while they're taking it. My cousin ended up in the mental hospital from the side effects of topamax.
As far as losing weight while on steroids, if you are on a low dose, diet and exercise should do it. If you are on a hig dose, you will probably not be  able to lose weight. Can you switch off the steroids onto something else?
Hi eva- I am on topomax (topamax) for migraines- and I have been on it for a year- I don't have the "stupid" reaction described above and described by others- although I have heard that before.  You should check with your doctor on whether it is okay to take while on steroids but I have taken it while i have been on short term doses on prednisone for flares without a problem- but again, check with your doctor first- it does help with curbing the appetite and with migraines, as well as some sleep problemms, if you have any of those.  If you take a low enough dose it may not cause problems- generally not more than 50- 100.  Good luck. And if it causes problems, talk to your doc and switch- what to watch out for is trouble concentrating and feeling spacey and tired the next day.
Thank you for your  feedback.

Dealing with Lupus its always something new.  I really trying to get it under control.  Alot of the medicine the doctor put you on is not good for you.  so I am looking in the natural herbal way.  I just wanted to find out a little more about topamax because from my experience dealing with other drugs don;t agree with me and the Lupus.  So natural is the best.

Eva