Lupus Community
need info please, nanna in the dark

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

need info please, nanna in the dark

My g,daughter, 13, has had lupus for about 6 months now. Idon't know what meds she's  on, think predis.... and another. also now somethng  for tummy as feeling sick all the time, no appetite, weight loss. looks a bit better but 2 weeks ago looked like stick insect. I'm so worried. Normally tiny build but good appetite. They are trying to reduce the steroids now. Is that because of her tummy  or because she's getting better or they're not doing any good? My heart's breaking, can't help, have to pretend to be cheerful. Can someone please try to tell me, with very little to go on, what may be happening please? Also sees rhumatologist. We're in Uk, few months ago was doing mad excercise every night, new from US? Thank you
Hello - I'm so sorry about your granddaughter. I have a Lupus too and lost my appetite and was constantly nauseous when I was flaring. It's a common symptom of the disease, as I understand. Does she spend a lot/any time outside? What kind of light bulbs do you have in your house? Is she sensitive to the sun? If she has those energy saving lightbulbs in the house - they emit UV radiation. Exposure to the sun (UV rays) can cause nausea, vomiting, and fatigue. When I started wearing sunblock (yes, even inside), and changed my lightbulbs my symptoms made a significant improvement. I'm currently in remission and credit it to daily exercise and cutting processed foods out of my diet. If you need any help/advise or if you'd like me to talk to your granddaughter, I'd be happy to give you my e-mail and blog address (focused on eating to combat auto-immune diseases). Hope she's feeling better soon. My heart, thoughts, and prayers are with all of you.
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your grand daughter. Usually steroids cause weight gain. There are many other causes for weight loss such as worms in stool, depression, anorexia nervosa, cancers especially colon cancers (unlikely because of her age), infections and loss of appetite. Loss of appetite can again be due to certain medications, drug abuse, depression, acute and chronic infections, eating disorders, cancers and hypothyroidism. It could also be due to increased metabolism as in hyperthyroid states, cancer etc. Poor absorption as in irritable bowel syndromes and malabsorption syndromes too is possible. Malabsorption syndromes are seen in intestinal tuberculosis, tropical sprue, parasites in stool and Whipple’s Disease. So, if she has gut issues, these should be looked into. Diabetes too can be the cause.
Since I cannot examine your grand child and know other related conditions she may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!