Lupus Community
not sure lupus??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

not sure lupus??

Hello .. Im cyndi ; ive previously posted on MS  forum some time back .  At one time thats where  my diagnosis was heading.with Neuros due to symptons...After a few years of not getting a answer and only seeing my GP  when ill, i had pretty much  given up on ever finding out what was truly wrong.  Anyway when i went to GP in June for extream pain in chest  when moving or deep breath,  He sent me for test.  Well test came back with POSITIVE ANA 1:80 .. Not bad but  also vit D def. And low white blood count.  He sends me to rhuemy .  More test ANA POS. 1:160  .  He also pointed out lacy skin  pattern.  Anyway ive had skin issues in the past..now wondering if it was correctly diagnosed .and nor eczema oer yeast rashes.  Could ir be lupus after all these years?  
Cyndi
    I have been doing research on Lupus, because my daughter has been recently diagnosed.  Lupus comes and goes and hides and pops out whenever.  Makes it hard to diagnose except by blood work and the physical symptoms...
    My daughter has been having cartilage problems.  Also known as Connective tissue Disease - an overlap disease of Lupus.
      So many people are not diagnosed for years before the doctor finally gets a light bulb over his head!  Eureka!  It's Lupus!!
       Hope this information is helpful...
    I was just reading about Fifth disease and it sounds so much like Lupus you can hardly tell them apart!!
   Only thing different is the blood lab results!  Both have ANA results!!!
    the Fifth disease has the lacey rash instead of the red butterfly rash on the face of Lupus.  Both have unexplained fevers and body aches and pains.

See a rheumatologist - he/she might be able to determine which one it is.  

What a conundrum!  It is really frustrating that both present with the same type of symptoms and results!  Must drive the doctors nutty!!

HI.. My kids when young all had fifth desease..
Yes it does present with rash..on face like if slapped on cheeks and a body rash..it lasted abt a week.  I had asked Dr once why its called fifth, he told me because its the fifth ..measles mumps rubella chicken pox and ...fifth.  I do have appt this week with rheumy.. Im hoping praying for some answers..I guess what ive been reading is that lupus and Ms are somewhat similar..minus rash..and are both difficult to diag.  I just know im so fustrated and sick.  I hope you get all the answers you are looking for, for your daughters health and hope she feels better soon.  
I've seen a couple of comments on here that lupus and MS are very similar. How so? It seems like MS is very easy to diagnose with the brain scans, where as lupus is harder if you don;t develop a rash. When you guys say they are similar, are you referring to the symptoms of unexplained fatigue and confusion? We have both MS and lupus in the family, and I am curious about how they overlap..
  Thank you Melissa... glad you are here.  
What I have found is the trouble with Lupus is that as an autoimmune disease, it overlaps with other diseases.  Sort of like a take-over.  
   MS is diagnosed with the lesions on the brain or spinal cord and demyelination.   Lupus, on the other hand, likes to mimic several diseases making it difficult to diagnose.
     For example, Lupus can include Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, GERD, and a host of other diseases.   The only thing that Lupus has to diagnose it is the butterfly rash or the discoid (skin disorder).  It takes forever for a doctor to diagnose Lupus also because your ANA could be high this time and low the next.  A real problem.
     I am so sorry that Lupus and MS are both in your family.  It must be difficult to deal with so much!
     Wishing you all the best... Silverfox